easiest way to disconnect and move middle steering shaft

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

easiest way to disconnect and move middle steering shaft

Postby chevyart » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:31 am

need to turn my steering wheel 180 degrees to realign it. long story posted here 6 mos ago explains what happened. the wheel cant be rotated at top of column like other chevys that have a spline which allows wheel to be realigned. cant do it at steering box as the shaft can only go onto box one way. only way i see is to loosen the splined coupler at bottom of column and turn it 180 degrees. only trouble is that there is no room to separate these parts to rotate the coupler(due to the 2 pins and 2 bolts). any tricks to loosen up one of the parts to get a little separation. i heard one other member mention that he tried to remove the center shaft, but there was no room to slide the shaft out, so i guess he either had to slide the box forward or pull the column further back into the inside of car. any easier way than the ones just mentioned. thanks art
chevyart

Re: easiest way to disconnect and move middle steering shaf

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:32 am

I was able to remove my shaft without removing or disconnecting anything. It's tight, but the shaft should slide down a bit into the coupler once unbolted at the rag joint. The steering shaft in the column may have a little play in it too where it can slide up a bit, I really can't remember but I know I got it out without doing too much extra. You may have to loosen the coupler as well for a little more clearance if it is not slid all the way down on the box.
Actually what you may need to do is rotate the shaft 180 degrees in the coupler at the box. I seem to recall the rag joint only goes together one way as the pins are different size? I think you need to rotate the shaft and cross-pin in the coupler.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevyart » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:39 am

thanks CJ the shaft will need to slide down the aprox. length of the pins in the coupler to slide the flat, splined joint between the bottom of steering column and the top of the center steering shaft.. i may be able to slide the spine on lower intermediate shaft down on spined shaft of the steering box to get the clearance i need.(as you suggested). i cant turn the shaft on box shaft as there is only one side on shaft that has the flat spot for the screw that holds the parts together.. ill look at mine again today. dont see it happening at the bottom to make the adjustment. im sure it needs to be done at bottom of steering column . thanks art
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Correct....for the most part everything just goes together one way to avoid any problem. However, you can still install the shaft with the crosspin in the coupler 180 degrees off. Everything else should just go together one way.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevyart » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:28 am

cj not sure if i understand what you say about installing the coupler 180 degrees off. are you saying what i think is only way to clock the steering wheel is to rotate the coupler between the bottom of steering column and the top of the mid shaft, or are you referring to some other point on the steering assembly. thanks art
chevyart

Postby chevyart » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:28 am

cj not sure if i understand what you say about installing the coupler 180 degrees off. are you saying what i think is only way to clock the steering wheel is to rotate the coupler between the bottom of steering column and the top of the mid shaft, or are you referring to some other point on the steering assembly. thanks art
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:30 pm

You just want to pull the shaft and crosspin out of the coupler and then turn the shaft (and steering wheel) 180 degrees and reinstall it in the coupler. You said your steering wheel is off by 180 so that should do it.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevyart » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:06 pm

cj iswhat i need to do. when i do it i will let you know how it worked out. i just need to gain that little bit of space between the rag joint and column to make the turn. art
chevyart

Postby chevyart » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:06 pm

cj iswhat i need to do. when i do it i will let you know how it worked out. i just need to gain that little bit of space between the rag joint and column to make the turn. art
chevyart

Return to General Discussion