adapting vegfa hinges to fiberglass hood

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

adapting vegfa hinges to fiberglass hood

Postby chevyart » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:29 pm

going to use my set of vega hood hinges(from 77 vega) on a new fiberglass hood(got it for free) and there is no provision to bolt the hinges on. i will use a nice locking system for the other end, as i hate the look of hood pins . has anyone just put in screw inserts , or is it necessary to put the flat plate in first and then put the inserts into the steel plate. i know megavega showed how to do job on steel hood. i would also like to know how to exactly line up the inserts with the holes in the hinges. there must be some trick out there to mark the hood from underneath(?) i know i have to line up the hood on the fenders and front valance first. i have that part of the job covered.. sure could use a GOOD TRICK TIO DO THE JOB. IF NOT, I WILL STARE AT IT FOR DAYS AND THEN FIGURE SOMETHING OUT. THANKS ART.
chevyart

Re: adapting vegfa hinges to fiberglass hood

Postby ol55 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:08 pm

Art, Hope you are not still staring at it! I looked mine and could not see how the glass hood is attached, so here is a bump.

Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:25 pm

Art and Larry I would love to help but your hoods open backwards :bang: :lol: . I am planning to hinge the eventual 'glass hood for the Monza, but I am starting from scratch and I intend to incorporate an aluminum bar down the sides and drill and tap for some scavenged OEM or fab'd hinges. I feel you will have to add something to screw to. I have seen things like some 1"X2" strapping, but that wouldn't do for me and it will fail in time [about 10 years for 'glass over wood boats I am told]. So 'glass in some aluminum tube with some inserts welded in for your screws and Robert is your dads brother! ["Bob's your Uncle" in "nerd" it's a British and therefore a somewhat Canadian thing Sorry http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bobs-your-uncle.html ] Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Phil G » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:14 pm

I wish I could help you guys with this but what I did to put the JC Whitney L88 hood on my Monza was totally different.
It had studs at the back for hinges and in the front for the striker. The Monza hinges are welded to the stock hood. I didn't want to hack up my hood (still have it) so I went to the boneyard and bought a bent hood and borrowed their torch and cut the parts I needed out of that hood. Got the hinges and striker for $50.00 and they should have given me the damn thing.
Made it all fit. Took a couple of days...
Phil G

Postby chevyart » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:54 pm

i know what to do and how to do it. imjust looking for a trick to mark the fiberglass hood underneath so i can drill the 4 holes. i need to lind the hood up on top, and the hinges will be in place, but i cant see under there to mark it. measuring, after the hood is lined up is too un-exact. any tricks out there. to gert the marks on my hood.? the vega hinges art in front of hood. thanks art
chevyart

Postby 283vega » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Art ,Measure the gaps between fender and old hood when shut, then open the hood and measure from edge of hood to edge of hinge.Now use these measurements to mark your new hood .do the same measure and mark for the front edge as well.Well that's my suggestion anyway
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Art I am sorry I keep thinking it is like my Monza at the rear but yours are in the front. [No I can't see the forest for the trees lots of times] Maybe you can you access them through the front, maybe remove the grill and rad? If that would gain enough access you could reach in and mark your locations, set the hood in and position it with some wood or cardboard shims. Then with your sharpie marked lines you could "Have at "er". Then for the latch pop it in loaded with 2 faced tape and no spring, give it a slam and hit the release and "Winner Winner Vega Dinner" I don't know if that would be easy enough, but it is a thought to get you started. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:02 am

thanks brian and harry. brian: i never really thought of your way because i thought i had to mark the center of the holes to drill them. now i realize i only have to mark the outer edges of the hinge body, then lay it on underside of my NEW HOOD, and then mark the hole centers, and i know i will need to position new hood first and establish the gaps and then find my measureing points to measure from(probably the edges of the fenders to hood edges) for sides, and cowl area edge for rear of hinge measurement. i will try that way. harry: i can also give your way a shot. i have the radiator out right now and the grill is also out. just have to take the new tranny cooler back out to try your method. both your way and brians way sound good to me. i will see which is the easiest. maybe double check them against each other. i still dont understand your way to line up hood latch. could you explain that one again harry. thanks Art
chevyart

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Sure Art! The latch that bolts(?) to the hood, take that little spring off. That is what pops the hood when you pull your lever, I am pretty sure it will be too strong for the double sided tape. Now with the latch clipped into the other half [at the cowl] put a substantial amount of the twofaced tape on the part that was on the hood, [facing up now that it is clipped in to the "socket"] now you should be able to close the hood and the latch should stick to your well cleaned hood. This will probably need some shimming to make it sit flat enough, and with a helper one of you pull the handle inside and the other will gently lift the hood open [two people on this would be even better] and now you will have your location, there are probably a few different variations of this you could adapt to locating that catch if you think that this won't work, it will be a fussy PIA for sure but getting under-hood with the engine out would be the easiest IF the engine was already out. Now with the latch taped to the hood transfer you holes and mount your latch. Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby chevyart » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:11 pm

harry i will need to get my parts out and see what you are talking about. . if its is too difficult, i will get those real nice twist hood locks like they used on the 1970 olds cars, but i should be able to figure out what you were saying. thank you art
chevyart

Return to General Discussion