Getting the Windows back on the Rollers...

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Getting the Windows back on the Rollers...

Postby starfire » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:53 pm

OK, so to replace my window beltline weatherstrips (thanks again Clyde!) I had to remove the windows from the rollers and lower them totally to the bottom of the door. Even with the stops removed they would not go down far enough to get the middle screws out. I'm starting to think I made a huge mistake. I cannot figure out how to get the track that is attached to the window back on the two rollers. The Fisher Body manual is really no help at all.

Any suggestions/hints that I could use?

Thanks,
Alan

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertible
1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

"Starfire, the Oldsmobile you didn't expect"
starfire

Re: Getting the Windows back on the Rollers...

Postby classic_cruiser » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:57 pm

It's been a long time (1991?) since I had to do this, but from what I remember, I had to loosen and I think completely remove the door glass track/channel (there are maybe 2 bolts) that secure the glass at the leading edge. I also seem to recall that the glass had to be lifted out and inserted back in the door vertically rather than in it's normal orientation, and while rotating back to vertical you had to put one of the rollers back in the track before the other. I don't recall which direction of rotation worked for me, but I seem to think right now that I had to put the leading edge/front roller in first while the front edge of the glass was being guided to the front of the door and rotated back to horizontal. Then with the glass all the way at the front of the door (beyond where the door glass track/channel would be), you could get the rear roller back in the track. The glass would then be pushed back into the rear track, and the front glass track/channel re-installed.

I could be remembering my old cavalier though... both my sunbird and my cavalier had their door glass broken by thieves! Hopefully I'm remembering the right car and not leading you down a deserted road...
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby starfire » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:29 pm

No, that sounds like it might work. The vertical door glass channel is unhooked. I will give taking it out and trying to get the leading guide onto the track a try.

Thanks for the explanation.
Alan

starfire

Postby starfire » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:41 pm

I got the passenger side window back in! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Was going to do the driver, but thunderstorms are a comin'.

classic_cruiser, you were close with your explanation, but it was still very valuable information and I thank you for it.

I did move the glass to the vertical position, but then the rear roller went in the track and the window was rotated and moved forward back to horizontal while getting the front roller to go in the track. Definitely a two person job. My daughter Emma provided the glass holding part of the process.

Thanks again for the help. Can't wait to get the driver side in and start driving the car again!
Alan

starfire

Postby EagleFish » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:17 pm

I had the same problem with my 1980 Sunbird RH door glass. The glass was broken when I bought the car. You MUST insert the glass from the outside of the door frame. It is a tight fit at the rear of the frame. Then the glass can be rotated so the back comes down into the rear door frame channel. To get the 2 center wheels into their track, I rotated the glass up and down until the I had enough room to get the wheels in separately. Front center wheel first, then the rear center wheel last. Did it all by myself!

John
John and Richard
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 pm

starfire wrote: Definitely a two person job. My daughter Emma provided the glass holding part of the process.

Thanks again for the help. Can't wait to get the driver side in and start driving the car again!

Alan I think I know a young Lady that is going to deserve some left front seat time soon! Your working her like a ......! Your Co-Hort in this H-Body endeavor must be [or nearly] driving age now, No? Either way she is paying her dues, It is great when your off-spring are interested in your hobby isn't it? :th: Glad you won that battle, Cruising season is HERE! I'll call you soon. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby starfire » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Got the driver window out and back in. It was a lot easier (once I got the damn thing out; getting it out was a battle, the front roller was still in the track and the thing had gone vertical on me. The driver door does not have as big of cutouts in it as the passenger door does :bang: ) to put the driver window in after having done the passenger window. I was able to do that one by myself (good thing too as my daughter was gone for the weekend already). I was able to give the window, track, rollers, and inside of the door a good cleaning while it was out and got the rollers all nicely lubed. Now it's time to get the trim put back on and start driving it again! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Alan

starfire

Postby starfire » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:38 pm

EagleFish wrote:I had the same problem with my 1980 Sunbird RH door glass. The glass was broken when I bought the car. You MUST insert the glass from the outside of the door frame. It is a tight fit at the rear of the frame. Then the glass can be rotated so the back comes down into the rear door frame channel. To get the 2 center wheels into their track, I rotated the glass up and down until the I had enough room to get the wheels in separately. Front center wheel first, then the rear center wheel last. Did it all by myself!

John
John and Richard

What's interesting about that, is that the Fisher Body manual on page 5-87 says "Remove window inboard of door upper frame. For H-27 style, remove window outboard of door upper frame. I had to bring mine out outboard, even though mine is an H-07 (hatchback), not an H-27. The H-27 is the notchback (Fisher Body terminology).
Alan

starfire

Postby classic_cruiser » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:59 pm

I didn't even think about there being a difference between the coupe/notchback and the hatchback. Mine's a notchback, that might explain the difference. I've never put a coupe door side-by-side with the hatchback door to see what the differences are... I had only thought it was only the thickness of the upper window frame that was different.

Anyway, congrats on getting the window back in!

Terry
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Return to General Discussion