vega hatch back

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

vega hatch back

Postby bigair49 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Hey guys I am looking at a very clean one owner 75 vega Gt hatchback looks to be all original and rust free (oiled from day 1 he said) this is a Canadian car. I was hoping to get a feel for the value as a starting point for the haggling. I'll try and post a pic.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Re: vega hatch back

Postby bigair49 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:29 pm

Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby Kenova » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:35 pm

I hate to say it but the price depends on how nice it is and more importantly how many people want it and how badly they want it.
What region of Canada is it in will determine the number of potential buyers. (I'm not trying to poach, I have my hands full now. :D )
What is the buyer's asking price?
Keep in mind that a pristine body means no body work or paint. What would body and paint cost in your area?

Ken
Last edited by Kenova on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby bigair49 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:21 pm

Thanks,
Well from a rolling on my back in the driveway perspective and a little tapping and magnet testing I would say that there is no rust or bondo in this one. paint is good but old and there are some repaired scratches and such but could be buffed and left for now. The guy has had this car up for sale for at least 5 years that I know of and he was asking 8 grand then I drove by the other day and it's still for sale and he's down to 5 grand I think that is still pretty high but it is in really good condition. I know anything is only worth as much as what someone is willing to pay. But I don't want to over pay because I really want it and he wants top dollar sorta deal so I'm just looking for a decent starting point keep in mind this is Canadian dollars.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:11 pm

What kind of plans do you have, keeping it stock, doing some modifications or doing a lot of modifying? A clean rust free body is not easy to find, how is the interior?

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby bigair49 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks for the input guys.
The interior is as nice as the exterior non smoker and kept it clean he did have the seats re done some time ago the dash has no cracks. He did spray paint some of the trim parts (not so nice of a job) but that's easily fixed. I hope to get a test drive in a day or so to see how the drive train and suspension are. I just might leave it stock if the engine a suspension are decent. BUT...... I do have a 406 sbc that is waiting for a home witch is what lead me to this Vega in the first place . I really don't want to chop up a true survivor if it really is as clean and rust free as I think it is.
more to come soon

Jess
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby T-FATTY » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:16 pm

It's looks like a clean car and body work is expensive, go with $4200 in cash a consider your self lucky if he goes for it. I vote put your 406 in it and have some fun.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby kgroombr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:33 pm

I am a Vega purist and although a lot of folks will tell you to put a V8 in this car, I beg you to keep it original. Original road worthy Vegas are getting super hard to find these days. When I go to car show, Popping the hood and displaying the 140 gets a lot of attention.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cammerjeff » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:55 am

If it is as nice as you describe it $4000-5000 is a reasonable price, and is that Canadian Dollars? If so that is only around $3900 USD that would be a great deal ($5000 CND)
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby bigair49 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Right on thanks guys!
well if the weather holds out I hope to get a test drive in tonight.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:43 pm

I too am a purist but these aren't fast. It is Great that you don't want to destroy a "Survivor Car" So if you decide to HotRod it, try and minimize the cutting and drilling, so it can be reversed, but that will mean storing parts and that gets old fast! As for price I don't feel that is out of line for the car you describe. If he won't bend on price take the car to your mechanics and get it on a hoist before paying top dollar and make sure you are getting what you are paying for! NO Exceptions! If he gets reasonable all of a sudden SAME advice. This will easily be worth the 40/50 bucks or case of beer that will be required! Take your time and LOOK EVERYWHERE, and make sure he knows you are going to be awhile, even if he comes along. If you feel you have to offer a lot less than his asking price make sure you tell him it is all you have [or can pay for this project start] and not an unfair Jab :pook: at his car. You can come back and claim you borrowed enough to do the job now! Many will not sell you the car ever if they feel you insulted his baby, and telling him what you shared with us is also an OK plan too [that you plan to drive it as is, he kept it that way for a long time] You are encouraged to comeback and keep us posted with your "Saga" either which way it goes, there are others if that doesn't pan out. It does look pretty good in your Pic though! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Sunula66 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:17 pm

K I'm chimin' in...
Walk up with 4 grand and go as high as a couple hun more..this guy knows it's value otherwise he wouldn't have hung on this long...me thinks he reads this site, so he's no dummy...be fair, this is a very nice VEGA-GT...but not an 8 thou. investment. Having said that, if this were a "Cosworth" powered car, then flash the "8" cash...Quickly!!..it's not an insult given that this is all the money for this Canadian car!...4 grand all day..maybe 4250.00....it better run nice too.
thanx for proving to us all that there are still great Vega's out there and best of luck!...keep us in the loop, Ron 8) :th:

PS...original or sbc...either way for the around 4 grand investment, you both come out smellin' like WD-40...he will after counting that amount of Cdn. currency and you..lol..either from the 4banger or the swappage :lol: ..happy motoring!
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby bigair49 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys that is what I needed to here.
I did get a chance to go for a test drive and really get a good look at this Vega.
Couple of things that I need to correct from my original assessment.
It is not the original engine in the car but is the right one for the car
I believe that the car was blue originally as well as the interior (hence the repainting of panels) missing a few screws here and there nothing major
Engine runs good but needs a good tuning and some exhaust work
So all in all still a nice solid car but not exactly a mint specimen

So on that note I offered 4 and he's holding strong at 5. I have a max of 4 in my budget but could go a bit higher but he's not budging a dollar YET I told him if he changes his mind my offer still stands for now
Last edited by bigair49 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Seeing the list you shared with us I think you are doing this right! 4G sounds about right. I have had more in a car [and other things] and had to sit on them 'til the market adjusted closer to the get it out of here time that always comes when we hold out. He maybe just hasn't gotten there yet but it sounds like it is coming! One price drop and a discussion with you a few more coming up short of his expectations and he may get realistic, but I have seen others dig in and let them rot! :cry: All you can do is wait him out, while you are looking around, if it doesn't happen it is because there is a better fit for you coming. :D Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bigair49 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Well as it turns out We found common ground. Shes sitting in my driveway tonight!! Check my project log.
Jess

Let the good times roll
bigair49

Next

Return to General Discussion