Interior Color and Seat Cover Questions?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Interior Color and Seat Cover Questions?

Postby olds70supreme » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:23 pm

I am planning on redoing my interior this winter. My interior option code is 26V, which according to http://monza.homestead.com/files/rpocodes.htm is a blue rattan grain vinyl. The car is a 1975 Starfire. If I want to find a vinyl dye to match, can I simply find another year of an aftermarket supported vehicle (Camaro, corvette, etc...)? Or is 26V unique to that year and model of car?

For example, I found that a '75 corvette also has a 26V interior code, which is described as dark blue vinyl (https://books.google.com/books?id=LOSrD ... de&f=false). Can I trust that these two colors are a match, and go to a corvette vendor for vinyl dye, etc...?

I also need to recover my DS seat. My understanding is that 79 Camaro seatcovers will work w/ minor adjustments. Can somebody who has actually done this chime in and verify?

Thanks.
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Re: Interior Color and Seat Cover Questions?

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:08 pm

Hey Olds! See if the Corvette vender has a Swatch(?) or a paint chip of the colour for you to compare. I think this will be the best idea to make sure you have compatibility of colours. Remember yours will be faded if original, and may need a "dusting" of fresh colour to match up well enough for you in the end. And no I don't know if they do indeed match or not. Please keep us posted. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:48 pm

Generally speaking the color code for a given year is the same across the GM line despite having different names. So I would say if you can find that same code for the same year for another model it will be the same. You can also go to a auto-body supply or anywhere they mix automotive paint and give them the code and they can mix you up a batch of interior dye.
Again, keep in mind that your interior color has probably changed a bit from over 40 years in the heat and sun so once you start you may find that you need to do all the panels. It is worth the effort though....
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby jpb04619 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:46 am

103_0373 (256x192).jpg
i am changing the tan interior in my c06 to blue and did not have all the blue panels eo do the job , had to dye some tan ones..........went thru several cans of spray afore i found this one on ebay.....perfect match for my blue panels......john b

59-88 GM Interior Recondition Spray Paint - Dark iBlue 54 - Vinyl / Plastic
| Add to watch list
Seller : thepartsplaceinc (135538 ) About thepartsplaceinc 99.1% Positive feedback
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jpb04619

Postby cammerjeff » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Do your seats have a rounded top or a squared off top? Many Starfires and Skyhawks used the squared off style seat, I believe all the Camaro seats are the rounded type.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby olds70supreme » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:27 pm

Just as an FYI for anybody else with this question...
I tried an autobody supply place and they said they didn't have the formula to mix this color.

I talked to SEM, and they said their formulas only went back to 1976 ( :bang: ). However, if I find a piece of 2"x2" colored interior part that has been protected from the sun, I can send it in and they'll develop a formula for a local paint supply shop to make. He mentioned an ashtray cover, material from bottom of seat, etc... I'm going to look over my car to see if any looks ok to send. The only problems are that parts of the interior have been recolored before (a different shade of blue), and it spent a lot of its life in Florida, so a lot of the interior is sun faded.
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Postby OldsStarfire » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:25 pm

75 seats do not have shoulders so 70-81 seat covers should fit fine. I used 77 camaro custom cloth covers but had to beat down the shoulders on my 77 seats. Seat bottoms front & rear fit fine. Rear upper cover had to be modified - narrowed and carpet panel added. I would just order a full camaro set in the closest color - it will be much more cost effective.
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:17 pm

If you have a good body shop supply store (like API) they should be able to match the color with a sample. They made me a rattle car for my front valance which matched perfectly.
valance.jpg

Interior paints, I used the SEM material on my Sunbird dash and it came out amazingly well.

dash.jpg

dash2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Return to General Discussion