Worried about the future of this forum...

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Worried about the future of this forum...

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:35 am

Unless there's something going on with the "view new posts" function, there has only been one post on here since Friday evening.
I'm sure we've all heard someone say " Facebook is killing all the forums and message boards"; now I'm getting concerned it's really happening. I'd hate to see it go; this feels a lot more like a community than Facebook.
Everything on fb is instant; if someone asks a tech question, there's 20 answers right away. Too bad 18 of them are wrong. :wink:
I check in here 2-3 times a day to get caught up on everybody's projects and to see if anyone has anything interesting going on. I know there's a few members who are NOT on fb; I sure hope they're not all that's left....
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: Worried about the future of this forum...

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:07 am

I'm concerned as well Spencer. Things have really slowed down here and there is so much excellent info available to all h-body followers, I hope this site stays somewhat active to preserve it. Here you can at least do a search to find what you're looking for.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby BadBowtie » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:06 am

I know what you mean, I've been thinking the same thing. Hoping that its people out wrenching more! I tend to lurk a lot and search for my answers since this place is a wealth of knowledge. Its always fun to check at the bottom of the home page "who is online" and see how many people are on.
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cammerjeff » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:53 pm

I am concerned also, I just refuse to join the face book croud so I will probably be back to on my own in a couple of years if the current trend continues.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby 283vega » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:37 pm

I share your concern as well ,but I may also be part of the problem . I check in most days but I dont post much as my car has taken a back seat to a new garage and house addition . I am doing much of the work myself and have no time or money for the vega. I do think that the high cost of living these days has hurt our hobby especially us h body guys. Many of us played with vegas because thats what we could afford and now its hard for many to even afford that!
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby waybad » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:06 pm

I'm still here!! lol just don't post everyday..lol we must keep this board alive :th: :th: :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby b_pappy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:38 pm

I know a few car clubs that have dropped their websites because of FB. Doesn't help me as I'm not on there. This site has been a huge asset to me & my car, I would hate to think of losing it.
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:06 pm

I can say for every ONE post, that I have made, I have spent several hours reading other peoples posts and gleening the info to use on my Vega project. I was fortunate to meet Richard and John down in Dade City, Fla and was amazed at that collection of H body cars. Picked up a good hatchback lid. I would hope that the forum stays active as well. Hopefully folks are working on their h-body projects like me and are too busy to post.
So, as an old musician once told me, ..."Don't Fret" ...Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby johnk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:25 pm

IMHO I agree with you there is not much posting on here now. And I am active on FB with my newer cars but I find little FB on the H-body. On FB its great for short messages and finding where car shows are or finding parts for some cars. But there are a lot of posts by people that do not know anything and think they are the source of all information :lol: and they are right just ask them :th: I read almost all messages on here and being able to read and see pictures on one subject at a time is something that can not happen on FB. I also hope this site does not disappear as it is the only place I find information and parts for my H-body today :( Also I think that the children of today do not see there parents working on there cars, but always taking them in to have someone else fixing them. The cost and difficulty on working on a modern car today and now the Government is trying to stop anyone working on there vehicle. I see less and less children at car shows every day that Modifying a car to be there own is becoming a thing of the past. :bang:
John K
johnk

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:59 pm

Hopefully with winter approaching people will have more time to start some projects and post about what they are doing. I suppose many topics have been beaten to death over the years so that probably doesn't help things here. However it is always nice to see and hear about new projects an parts and maybe even some fresh ideas. I too would hate to see this forum go away, I check on it several times a day. Many subjects are archived so maybe a lot of people just search for things that way rather than asking the same questions over and over. I also think there are a lot of people who just read without actually posting (which is ok by the way) but I for one am always interested in new projects so let's hear what you guys and gals have planned for the winter.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Spencer and others I to share your concern and I noticed the lack of traffic this weekend as well. I am busy cleaning up my "stash" of extra's and trying to finish my long overdue garage project [I consider any garage work Monza work as that is were it is going to happen] I will not join in with Facebook discussions, I will have to join up [eventually] as many things are becoming FB oriented including these forums and commercial sites. So to look up a companies products I will have to join as soon as I figure out how to be "Mr. Incognito"! Harry Just to depress you all further there are 812 people on the "Home Shop Machinist Forum" when I finished here! :(
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:26 pm

To me, this is the only source for good information about my car. I am a member of Monza Madness on FB but to me that is NOT!!! a source of good info. I check here a least once a day and have gotten most of my questions answered by the gurus who haunt these pages. I have visited other car group sites for my Traverse and other vehicles and the layout and ease of navigation here puts the other sites to shame.

I hope to post more as I start doing the body work and paint prep this winter, and I'm sure to ask more stupid questions in the near future. All you gurus keep checking in and answering for the know-nothing bozos like me!

Rick

p.s. though I haven't met anyone on this board in person, I would love to have a beer with anyone on this board, you all seem like good and friendly guys/gals
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby NVEGAR8D » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:45 am

HI, I tend to come on here to get all my info and i don't do Fb and wouldn't know how to get on anyway as i'm not too savvy on computers . I share others in hopes that this board doesn't go away. The people i have met through this site are a great bunch of people and a lot more knowledgeable than i so i rarely have much to offer. I hope this site is around for a long time to come.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:25 am

I do see some familiar names from this forum posting on the various Facebook H-body groups, but some of the groups seem to be populated by a lot of people that are "interested" but not "owners". Maybe this is a good thing exposing our beloved little cars to a wider audience. But some of the discussions and questions make me shake my head.
Occasionally, a new H-body owner joins and asks questions about how to go about doing a V8 swap; I really think FB is the WRONG place to do that. The unfiltered advice is sometimes laughable; some guy who's neighbor's brother's friend's uncle had a V8 Vega 30 years ago will weigh in with his "expert" opinion. Kind of like THAT guy you meet at a car show; you know, the one who had a Vega way back with a 351 and a 3/4 race cam! :shock: Factory built, too. :wink:
Anyway, I'm here to stay.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:44 am

Me, too. I don't FB, especially when I've seen the change in my wife. She used to make fun of people with smart phones until she got one. Now she has her nose in FB all times of day.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Next

Return to General Discussion