Worried about the future of this forum...

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Worried about the future of this forum...

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:18 am

For those of you who haven't ventured onto FB, I was one of you and still am for the most part. Most of the Cosworth info was handled on the Yahoo Groups site and when a CV FB page was started the Yahoo site quickly went into hibernation. So after a lot of struggling I decided to take the jump but I also made the decision not to 'friend' anyone, even though several folks I know personally asked me to 'friend' them. I just ignored the requests. I don't see any other personal FB pages and I don't get swamped with all kinds of postings that have nothing to do with CV's. I'm strictly only on the CV page. FB gives you an option to post 'publicly' which stays on your page and is seen by your 'friends'. I don't post anything 'publicly'. It wouldn't be seen by anyone anyway because I don't have any 'friends'. I put in the minimum personal information and my name on FB is 'Dick Cosworth'. By the way the CV page is by invitation only, you can't post anything if you are not a member but you can read other sites although I haven't ventured into any others. One real problem with FB is you can't search for something, at least I haven't found the way to do that.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby dindin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:36 am

Although i don't facebook, why not use facebook to help promote this forum especially when someone is giving half assed advice?

Most people I know have a love hate relationship with that site, my wife uses it but I stay far away, especially when she trys to show me the latest gossip.

Al
dindin

Postby bbcowboy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:47 am

I personally like both site H body and FB...and as for my project...haven't been worked for awhile....I will continually post progress (once it gets started again) here on this site and a little bit on fb....
Byron

Cosworth Vega #0756 (IMSA inspired CV)
Cosworth Vega #1044
bbcowboy

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby classic_cruiser » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I too have noticed the big drop-off in posting over the last year or two, and it does concern me as well. I'm not sure if FB is the root cause or not; I have a FB account, but it does not serve the purpose that this forum does for me.

I would hazard a guess that the decline in posting on this forum reflects the general decline in interest in these cars (relative to the general population that is). I've seen the same decline in forums for other car models, for me these would be a 63-64 Cadillac community and the j-body.org forum. It seems very difficult to get large numbers of the younger generation interested to keep the hobby alive for specific car models, especially when those models become harder and harder to come by. I see the same reflected in car shows... it seems the focus is shifting away from collaboration and fellowship. Not sure where it is going...
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby 67shovel » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:37 pm

I'd rather ask my Vega questions here where the experts are!
79 Monza wagon Pro street, cage tubs narrowed 9
73 GT Vega wagon street car 355 700r4 a/c
68 RS Z/28 302
67 SS 396
Cobra replica
65 Corvair Corsa midengine 301
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do? ... =RETRIEVED
67shovel

Postby ol55 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks to the members here, this has been my best source of information for my Vega. Thought about but never posted a project log but my posts are a problem log. IMHO problems are better solved using this format.

Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby KZVEGA » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:02 pm

I'm also guilty of lurking on the forum. So much information already posted no reason to ask again unless something specific. As a millennial myself, I use facebook often but find no other use than goofy memes and staying in contact with friends all over. Definitely never use it for anything car related.
KZVEGA

Postby Sunula66 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:58 pm

Not to worry H-Buddies!!
This Forum, although it seems slow now and again, it's meerly a " Paradime Shift"...everybody is busy at the same time with "Life" :th: :D
sooo...have no fear, wit and curiousity is always going to be here!! :lol: :rolleyes: ...I never worry about this Forum since it has made a permanent mark on the web!...besides, it is as Spencer said in the first place, a "community" and will always be one...and everybody gets busy but we're still all here..hell, I just updated my garage from my laptop in my Peterbilt on the road ...and I'm on FB and have tons of pics and a little story on there about the H-Body vehicles I own :D
I also thought of contacting an H-Buddy recently in B.C. and Saskatoon so there's another way of keeping the "H" life alive...post a thing on here or simply just randomly PM someone from here and say Hello!! or in any language...sort of a Hospitality reach out...ya, just a random pick of a board member and say Hi, how's it going from...
in Canada or where ever... 8) :!:
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby mahoy78spyder » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:01 pm

You can't replace the searchable repository of YEARS worth of great tech and/or restoration data here, plain and simple. I do post on FB often, but my primary source of information when I truly want a well-thought-out answer from someone with sufficient knowledge (and not just a "hey I used to own one of those cars too" comment), I come here.
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby beakerztoyz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:57 pm

I'll say it again.. I really like this forum I've been using it off and on for at least a decade I think. I'm sure I've said this before I think maybe we all could do a better job of making this forum more active. I notice a lot of people seem to look at posts but people rarely comment why is that ? people say well this isn't a right now type of answer place like FB ya I get that.. but it seems there is little discussion, advice or encouragement offered in here lately.
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby sirrick4 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:39 pm

I usually check into this site every morning and have a read. I've met some really nice people who have helped me no end and have also been a source of parts. Going through the old threads has been really helpful as there is a mine of info there. What I must do is update my project journal. My poor 75 2+2 has been up on stands now for nearly 5 years while I work on it with a limited cash flow and now it's getting close to being finished. Luckily I can do a lot of my own fabricating and I was a mechanic way back before I was in the army. My thanks go out to all of you gurus in this forum :th:
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:00 am

While this forum has changed several times over the years, some of us have been on "here" since the mid 90's I believe. It will be here as long as there is still interest in these cars and is the best source of reliable information. Sometimes it is slow but at least it is not full of a bunch of nonsense, which would be worse. If we want it to thrive then we need to post useful information, whether it be about our own projects, looking or selling parts, looking for general information or troubleshooting.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby T-FATTY » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm here daily reading new posts, I haven't much posted since I sold my vega. I'm not on FB or anything like it. I've got a lot of good advice over the years here, I see a couple of people with nice builds that aren't on here anymore.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby chevyart » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:19 pm

hey t-fatty. time to get you another vega now that you know what to do with them. i would be lost without this forum, not just for vega info, but most of asll for the good people we talk to every day. lots of good talk on this forem for everyone.PS where is eric and colin.? art
chevyart

Postby 1oldmf » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:13 pm

I visit here daily, EVERYDAY,
I don't post , unless I have something worthwhile to add, or comment on.
I'm sure there are other like me, that visit and just read.

to post , for no reason??
nah, why?

oh, thanks for letting me unload my 2 cents, LOL
1oldmf

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion