FUEL TANK HOSES

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

FUEL TANK HOSES

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Well the cruise/show season is about over so I am taking advantage of the decent weather and starting my yearly ritual of getting the car up on my platforms and doing some work and cleaning under the car. Something I meant to get to earlier this year but never got around to is replacing the two fuel line hoses that connect the fuel tank to the hard lines. While I replaced these about 20 years ago when I was detailing the undercariage and fuel tank I noticed that they were showing signs of cracking. So, today I dropped the tank in order to get to the hoses and wanted to show some pics of what they looked like. Since I imagine some cars may have never had these replaced I suggest that you check yours to see what condition they are in. It's one of those little things that can easily go unnoticed until there is a leak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: FUEL TANK HOSES

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:23 pm

Clyde after you do the fuel tank thing a couple of times in a month [I had to while fighting a fuel pump issue! :bang: ] you will pull those off without even dropping the tank. If I can fit my claws in there, all but the most "Neanderthal" amongst us should be able to once you know what to feel for. There isn't a lot of room but it is doable. Have you given any thought to an "upgrade" for these hoses, next time I have to do any maintenance I will at a minimum extend the steel lines out to make this an easy job, and much shorter rubber sections, should be safer as well! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:08 am

I tried reaching in there and couldn't get to the clamps on the hoses. Maybe it is doable, but I just decided to lower it. It's been at least 20 years since I did this last time, so this will probably do it for me.......
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:10 pm

I think I may have let it down a few times as blood will cause rust. And then there is that whole sissy part about it hurting and the wife gets P :censored: y when I whine! Yes she is P :censored: y a lot! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby ol55 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks Clyde. Are there any materials that are better than stock? I'm more concerned about the other end of the pipe in the front.

Thanks,
Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby bugdewde » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:13 am

My '73 leaked a few years ago. They looked original. A bear to get at. Had to lower the tank a bit.

My '72 Kammback has a fuel pump issue I'll be swapping out soon. Might as well get some new hose while I'm at it. Thanks for the reminder, Clyde.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:18 am

I don't know if fuel injection hose will last longer but it is made to handle much higher pressures.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby ol55 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks. I wonder if fuelie hose is less likely to break down with ethanol gas.

Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:22 pm

I believe the new hoses are better at handling the current fuels compared to older hose. Not sure how long it will actually last though. As mentioned, these lasted about 20 years or so, so I can't really complain. Happy to say they are in and the gas tank is back installed.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby bugdewde » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:17 am

Well, I finally got around to dropping the tank to changeout the dying fuel pump.
There were lots of Oklahoma red dust/dirt everywhere (car came from Oklahoma). I expected to see lots of same debris in tank, suspecting that is what was causing the reduced fuel pressure.
The hoses looked great.

Removal.jpeg

Much to my surprise, the inside was extremely clean on the inside.

inside.jpeg

After sloshing it around to collect any debris, this is what was found inside ..... notice the flat slivers.... thought they were some kind of leaf.

debris.jpeg

They looked like some sort of flattened solder. Very malleable and soft..... ????
Flat Solder.jpeg

Fuel pressure is now a solid 3 psi and occasionally hits 4.
WOT with high revs of the 215 V8 sucks it down to 2 psi. Since it doesn't sustain those high rpms for long, a stock (Carter replacement) fuel pump should suffice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Return to General Discussion