hood cable grommet part number or size?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

hood cable grommet part number or size?

Postby MM71VegaDad » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:49 pm

It FINALLY rained here in SO Cal and I wanted to keep the vega uncovered so I can find and fix leaks. The only real one I found was the water coming in via the hood cable through the side panel The previous owner sealed it with RTV but I pulled that out and now I have the hole with the cable (and water) running through. Anyone know the part number or size for the grommet? Thanks!
MM71VegaDad

Re: hood cable grommet part number or size?

Postby cos1776 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:06 pm

You can always seal it with some Thum-Gum non-hardening sealing putty put out by the Bramec Corp. It is used in the hvac industry and will stick to anything, Isn't affected by heat, cold or vibration and will seal a fairly large hole around things going through the hole. You can't see the hole that the cable goes through, so appearance isn't a priority, so this stuff is just the thing to use. You can get a wad of it ready and simply push it around the cable and hole until the void is filled. Since I have used this there is no more issue with water coming in via the hood cable.

John
cos1776

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:29 pm

I did some research on this grommet and came up with with one about a year ago for another member. I should be able to still get another but I have to go back and check to see if it is still available. Worked out very well as I recall. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby MM71VegaDad » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Thank you! I was thinking of gooping it up, but if grommet is available I'd rather do that WITH the goop as well.
MM71VegaDad

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:21 am

I can get one that will work, send me a email and I will send you a pic.If anyone else is interested let me know. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:06 am

Grommet ordered.....
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Clyde when that comes in, and before it leaves your possession, maybe you could measure it up and post for future researchers. Thank You Clyde for your consideration! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:20 pm

I did research on this grommet early this year for another member. Maybe when Chris gets this he can post a pic of it installed along with a review of how it fits/looks. If anyone else needs one feel free to contact me.....
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to General Discussion