cut for header clearnce

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

cut for header clearnce

Postby 350hawk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Can anything be trimmed or cut out where the oval openings are where the front brake lines go through. It looks like that supports the lower control arm.
350hawk

Re: cut for header clearnce

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:04 pm

What kind of headers are you running? My hooker 2135's run a pipe through that hole, but there is plenty of clearance. I would have to look but i don't think that is a major structural part, however you could always reinforce the area if you cut anything away.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 350hawk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:54 am

custom. Thinking about building new ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
350hawk

Postby 350hawk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:58 am

driver side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
350hawk

Postby 350hawk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:59 am

passenger side
350hawk

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:00 pm

It has been a while since I looked at that 350Hawk, but I think that it may a well be a support for the rear lower Control arm mount. With that said do like Clyde suggested and re-enforce after surgery keeping in mind that a piece of tubing will be lighter and have a smaller foot print that the stamped flat stock that GM used. Example if that stamped piece is 3/8" X1" I think a piece of 3/4" round would be similar in strength if you can find it in the same wall thickness. Plus the tube would allow a shape change while only needing a couple of small gussets. Do we have any P.Eng's to do some F.E.A. to know for sure, rather than my seat of the pants engineering. You could do some destructive testing to figure this out if the math answer doesn't present itself, Really a good idea [more of a necessity than a suggestion] if you can make this happen, a hydraulic press with a gauge is all that you would require to compare the ease of bending to failure. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to General Discussion