Factory manual trans shifter grommets

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Factory manual trans shifter grommets

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:42 pm

I have been searching for a source for the 3 grommets that fit the factory manual trans shifter. I may have located some but I am looking for someone who is willing to try them and provide feedback to me. Since I do not have a factory shifter to try them on I am hoping someone may be willing to give them a try. I will give the first person a deal on them, all I ask is that you install them in a timely fashion and get back to me as to how they work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: Factory manual trans shifter grommets

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:32 am

These are still available if anyone wants to try them
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:30 am

How much for them Clyde? PM me with the price please.

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:25 am

I am interested in those grommets/bushings as well as we will be using the factory shifter. Long ago, we tried to find them and ended up using the round pull tabs off Budweiser cans. That lasted only a couple of years, then the pull tabs changed, and I quit drinking Budweiser (Yueingling is so much better). We did, however remove the pull-latch for reverse thing. Our tranny will be going in soon. If they are still available, or if you tell me where I can get a set, it will be greatly appreciated. ...Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:19 am

These are going to Rick and I will be waiting for him to evaluate how they fit and function. If it's positive then I will try and get some more and make them available.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:36 pm

I tried putting these in today without success. They are too tight of a fit in my opinion, unless I was trying to put them in incorrectly which is always a possibility! My understanding is that they would go around the shift linkage bars fitted into the shift levers at the transmission, is this correct? If so the fitting so too tight and cuts the rubber connecting the two circular pieces of the grommet. If they aren't supposed to go up by the cotter pins in this picture then please let me know, I've got a few days of holidays left and will try again.

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzacoupe

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:07 pm

I don't know exactly how they fit as I don't have the factory shifter in my car. This is one pic I have, I assume the bushing just fits into the shifter hole and then the rod fits through it. Is that what you were trying to do? I believe though that these only go on the shifter, not the transmission arms. I don't think there are bushings on the transmission arms on a factory shift linkage.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:01 pm

That's what I was trying to do but at the transmission! I'll try the other end tomorrow!

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:30 am

Aftermarket shifters (and probably other GM shifters) use bushings at both ends of the rods. Not sure why they don't use them on the trans end on H bodies (cost savings?) Looking forward to your evaluation on them. These are a soft rubber "bushing", I hate to even call them bushings as they are more of a insulator in my opinion. These are supposed to be correct but that is why I wanted someone to check them out first. If they seem to correct I can try and get more, if not, well then at least I tried.......
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzacoupe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:53 pm

I got them installed today, fun job! I think they are identical to what was in there. My car does have an unknown checkered past with a transmission replacement in there somewhere I think, but I saw no difference in what Clyde found and what I took out.

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Rick, glad to see your review of these bushings (insulators). Since replacing the stock shifter with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter was the very first mod I did on my car back in 1976, it has been a very long time since I have seen a stock shifter. I thought these may be a little thinner than what I expected, but as you have confirmed they seemed to be perfect replacements. So, if anyone is in need of a set let me know and I will see if I can source some more. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 am

I am in need of a set of those for my stock vega shifter..4sp. Not sure how many it takes, but price me a set with a couple of extras in case we dog one out installing it. Send me an address and an amount for the USPS money order and I will send the shipping info to 34491. Thanks....Peace
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:16 am

PM sent.....