Mechanical fuel pump in 231 ?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Mechanical fuel pump in 231 ?

Postby smdog66 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Hello, I am a new member with a 1978 Olds Starfire 231 V6

I have gone thru 3 in tank pumps that went out, all Airtex.

After that I went to a external carter pump re did the lines etc. this one lasted about 8 months, the longest so far. by far.

I looked at the left side of the motor and there is fuel pump block out plate.
I researched and the 231 seems to be the same engine with a in tank pump or mechanical pump.

I have a old buick mechanical fuel pump and compared it to where the block out plate is.
It seems to have plenty of room to fit there, i actually easily got it to the block. but may be tight but not impossible to add the lines.

So my question is , has anyone here ever put a mechanical pump in a 231 V6 that originally had the in tank electrical pump?

It looks very possible
smdog66

Re: Mechanical fuel pump in 231 ?

Postby OldsStarfire » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm not sure if the camshaft has the lobe to drive the pump, but I bet it does knowing how GM shared so many parts back then. What the condition of the gas tank? Was it rusty or something?
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby smdog66 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks, the car was sitting about 5 years.

I took tank out an had it cleaned, even had the carb overhauled.

The last pump a carter external lasted about 8 months, the longest so far.

So I should check if the lobe is on the cam? Maybe I can tell by removing the block off plate and look with a light an mirror.

Well guess this is worth a shot. Wont be that big a deal, was just wondering if anyone here has done it, hence the post.

I have read lots of us here have had the same issue

Thanks
smdog66

Postby cammerjeff » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:32 pm

I have never seen a 231 Buick Camshaft that did not have the fuel pump eccentric on it. As stated every other RWD application of the 231 had a mechanical fuel pump except for the H-bodies.

As long as you modify the fuel line to stay low to the fuel pump it should not be a problem. But remember the fuel line will have to cross over to the drivers side some were, as that is were the mechanical fuel pump would be.

Please us a hard line and don't just run a fuel hose below the engine. That would be OK to test to see if it works. You will probably have to remove the intake fuel pump from the sender and make a line to replace it. I don't know how well a mechanical pump will pull fuel thru a stationary electric pump.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby Vega2008 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:17 pm

I use the in tank pump with sock, and I also run a mechanical pump on my Buick Even Fire V6 in my 1975 Chevy Vega. Ran it like this for 7 years as a daily driver and had no issues. After being in storage in my shop for about 10 years, the fuel pump in tank quit, I tore my tank out and found some rust in the tank and the rheostat on my float was wasted. I bought a new in tank electric Fuel pump, and new sock, and sent my entire unit to NY to a company called TriStar radiator. The installed a newer style float and rheostat and epoxy primed the entire unit, installed and tested the new fuel pump and shipped it back to me for around 75.00 and has worked fine ever since. I also at that time sent my gas tank to a radiator shop in Kansas City and had my tank cleaned out.

Vega2008
Vega2008

Return to General Discussion