thinking of selling it all.

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

thinking of selling it all.

Postby rpoz-29 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 am

I can't believe I'm considering this, but I am giving serious thought to selling all my Vega stuff. It's a '73 GT hatchback I bought new. Still a 4 cylinder, although the engine is out of the car. I at least 1 spare saginaw 4 speed, 2 rears, a posi-unit, probably 3 complete engines, gasket sets. Cam removal tool, spare fenders, front and rear valance, bumpers, header panel, hood, hatch, glass, tons of marker lights, chrome, suspension parts, two sets of Cosworth wheels, 2 sets of GT wheels, and a lot I'm forgetting. I have no idea what all the stuff is worth, or for sure that I am selling it. Things have changed a lot for me this year. Maybe it's a reality check? I always wanted to get my Vega back together, but I've started so many projects, I don't know that I ever will. I'm almost 62, and I know how fast time goes by. So many of my car buddies are gone, or retired to the water somewhere...it's not much fun working by yourself.
rpoz-29

Re: thinking of selling it all.

Postby mahoy78spyder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:12 am

Hang in there... I've "hit the wall" before a few times with my car too... Can't relate to the retired friends part yet but I'm getting close. I still have one son that likes to work on cars with me so that keeps me going. Let us know what you decide to do, but I'd give it some time.
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby dindin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:49 am

Its nice to have a hobby..

Al
dindin

Postby T-FATTY » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Sent you a pm.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Bill, I agree with Ken, step back, let things settle down a bit, finish one or two of your other projects.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby rpoz-29 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 pm

I probably do. But after watching my mom pass, I realize just how fast life flies past. I'm trying to be realistic about my chances of finishing it. Anyway, I won't be doing anything with it until I'm settled in the new place.
rpoz-29

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Bill I wish I was in a place different then where you are at, but I have had a Monza continuously since 1982, and haven't had one on the road running and driving since 1985 it feels like I am trying to push a tidal wave up a very steep hill with a "Q-Tip" and I have come very close a few times to just sending it to the crusher so I can't turn back, but so far I haven't I and I just don't know why. Between the financial and timing set backs of life and all of the disparaging remarks I haven't because I would absolutely hate myself beyond repair and that end with complete removal of everybody in my life. Keep us in the loop and don't do anything rash just yet and start aggressively removing road blocks from your dreams, whatever the road blocks may [I have started this process already, and to keep you focused how would your mother feel if she was the cause of this? I doubt she would approve of this reaction] be just plan real careful! Sorry this wasn't a cheerier kick in the pants but this is really the best I have right now, so you aren't in that boat alone! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Sort of in the same boat. Been thinking of thinning the herd, myself lately.

Mom passed last month.
Switched jobs a year ago.
I moved a year ago and I still own my old house..... 2 house payments suck..... ....need to work on my house to sell it. 2 a/c units, roof, some ceiling re-texture, etc.... selling that house would allow building a garage for my "toys" at the new-to-me "old " house.

I have 10 cars, a boat, a utility trailer, 2 car trailers, a motorcycle ...... scattered between both places and a friend's house....... and all my cars need "something".
-'06 GTO - trans removed for slave cylinder
-'81 T/A - trans removed and rebuilt (won't upshift)
-'73 Vega Hatchback GT - Steering box replaced (busted), T-5 crossmember fabbed up, driveshaft shortened
-'72 Vega Kammback GT - fuel pump replacement
-'73 Vega Kammback autocrosser ..... complete brake system, drivetrain installed
-VW Baja - just needs sold... I never use it.
-'05 Jeep Wrangler - Heim Joints an all 8 control arms replaced as well as bushings (reverse rebuilt) 120k miles

-'91 Miata - Rallycross car (doesn't need a thing other than A/C charged for each of the summer races... 230k miles of hard abuse... super trooper)
-'93 Miata LE - 30 mpg daily .... cracked dash replaced (one of 1500 molded in red... yep, I have another one.... just to do it) 220k miles
-'99 Suburban - injector pump issues (unsure) won't start when heat soaked for 15 or 20 minutes.... gotta cool pump with bottled water. 230k miles
-'97 Mustang GT - just bought from brother... needs balljoints, ties, etc ..... and a windshield 140k miles

I'm overwhelmed. ..... and not very motivated to do anything right now.
I've been thinking of ditching most of my stable and starting over as a responsible 52 year old homeowner (I've been single for 15 years... she says I'm set in my ways). .... but I really like what I have. It's taken me 10 years to acquire them.

Consider: Keep the Jeep (just because I love it) , '72 Kammback (autocrosser), GTO (daily) and Suburban (hauler) ..... '91 Miata OR Mustang (as a Rallycrosser). That means the others should go, but I've worked for 10 years to get them all and I'm attached.

She says I have hoarding tendencies. I said I don't really hoard anything other than Vega stuff..... and that's not really expensive stuff. She said, "Hoarders don't hoard valuables, they'd be rich ..... they hoard junk."
Hmmmmmmm? I ain't rich.

I guess the two commuter cars and a truck family scenario just didn't fit my life.

Seriously, I gotta make some changes. a '69 Firebird convertible is calling my name ever-so-softly-in-the-distance.......... :bang: STOP IT !!!!!
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby rpoz-29 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:42 am

I understand. We're moving for the second time in a year. Moving all the stuff I've accumulated is a bear. I have my '73 GT, a 90% restored '69 Chevy half ton, an '87 4Runner that's all but ready for paint, a 2002 Z-28 with almost no miles, and needs no work, a '96 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel, a small Kubota tractor, a car trailer, a utility trailer, plus my wife's car. Something is always broken, and I guess I've been away from working on them for so long, (working on one house or another), I don't know if I want to start again. Plus the house we've bought needs a lot of landscaping. My mom passed last month and we have to keep an eye on my dad, who's legally blind. It can be overwhelming. Reality is setting in. I'd rather see the stuff go to someone who will do something with it, rather than hang onto it until my health is shot and it's sold for scrap. Sucks to be so down......
Last edited by rpoz-29 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpoz-29

Postby T-FATTY » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 am

Wow you guys have a lot of toys! The 69 Chevy truck and Z28 sound nice.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:54 am

Bill if your Dad is in otherwise decent health, I think you would both enjoy some time "under the hood" while Dad hangs out [just being included always cheered my Dad up] and you can move forward and spend time with him and make sure he is taken care of simultaneously. Then he will want to go for a ride in whatever you just fixed. "Motorheads disease" is usually an inherited, mostly from the male gene pool, I wish I was in a better spot to have better used this advise myself. Just a thought only you and he know if this will work. Hoping the best for all of us! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rpoz-29 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 am

That's a good point Harry. We worry about my dad being alone in his house. My siblings and I have all offered to let him stay with us. For now, he wants to be in his house, but realizes it can't be forever. It would probably do he and I both some good to have him out in the garage while I work on something. And he may take me up on the offer once we're settled in the new place. Time will tell. Thanks for the response, guys.
rpoz-29

Return to General Discussion