Transmission Adapter Kit from ACE

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Transmission Adapter Kit from ACE

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Has anyone got a picture of the installation of this adapter? Will the torque arm have to be cut and re-welded as well as the drive shaft? The BG mounts dont not seem to line up with the frame holes using the stock tranny Xmember. I thought this was supposed to be a drop in situation...I cannot remember a thread having to do with cutting and rewelding the torque arm either....Advice please..
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Re: Transmission Adapter Kit from ACE

Postby Smiley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:59 am

What is the part number on the trans adaptor you have ? is it a mount adaptor or a crossmember ?
The Torque arms were made in different lengths, are you using the 75 body, 75 rear end and 75 torque arm ? you may need to mod yours or get one from a V8/V6 car
4.3 V6 engine, and trans are you swapping into it, a 4 speed Saginaw ?
Bob Gum mounts for the engine ? do you have V6 or V8 Monza frame plates ?
I would use all the ACE parts with the Sanderson V6 headers,
ACE Vega 140 to 4.3 motor mounts and
the ACE 71 to 75 trans crossmember.
Then check the torque arm and drive shaft last.
Smiley

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 am

We are using a 75 Cosw. body..77 Saginaw 4-sp...the original 75 Cosw. rear end with the 75 torque arm ..74 VegaGT firewall setup like the 77 Sunbird with AC.. Bob Gumm mounts 10503 ... Trans adapter -10530 -- (invoiced for 10505 v-6 Vega engine mounting kit) .. There is presently NO clearance at the bellhousing and firewall...This was a truck bellhousing that we cut the slave cyl. mount off of...The steering arm Zerk fitting DOES contact the oil pan...This 99 v6 vortec has a cast aluminum oil pan...I have a 89 vortec steel pan but don't know if it will match up to the other (99) vortec.
The slotted ends of that kit where the nuts were welded in for the bolts, were partially filled with slag from the weld and were partially covered by the slot as if they moved when being tacked..so the slot has to be ground out of the way of the nut hole just to make the threads accessible and the threads had to be tapped out and re-threaded just to get a bolt in them. I will post the pics so you can see. They are not symmetrically the same.
Referring to the instruction sheet for the 10530 adapter...figure A on the back of the sheet, looking from under the car..the frame extensions mounting is where we presently are. I have to prepare the pictures for uploading....more to come.

Have you ever heard of anyone lowering the idler arm mount and the steering gearbox mount to lower the steering linkage away from the pan?
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
74_Vega_GT

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 am

74 when you say "Steering Arm Zerks" are you speaking of the inner tie rods? There are two styles of those, and the ones with the "zerks" on the end almost always hit the pan. You will need to remove and R&R the zerks for lube [plug with a 1/4-28 set screw] or find the ones with the fitting in line with the stud [these seem somewhat harder to find lately]. There are more than a few threads on this site, with part numbers and pic's if IIRC so do a search or two and happy reading. The 4.3 is 3/4's of an old school Gen 1 SBC but I haven't found an accurate location on the mounting pad location as based on the bell mounting flange as a reference, so that may take some more digging or stay with a tried and true "Kit" as that isn't common ground for an H-Body, not new, just not that common. As for the rest, this isn't my area of expertise so I will watch and learn with the rest, please keep us informed. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Yes, Harry, and thanks I was in a hurry...I did mean the zerks at the tie rod ends..and we see where the center link was rubbing the pan as well. Milodon makes NO V6 PANS. The 89 4.3 vortec v6 oil pan WILL fit the 99 4.3 vortec v6 with modifications to the 89 gasket and the holes in that pan. That pan gives 3 fingers of clearance at the steering link with no contact at the tie rod ends. Good news finally. We will have to grind off the height of the top of 4 ridges in this particular bellhousing for a little more clearance at the firewall.
The new Tube-lite fuel line will have to be shortened and rerouted to accomodate the braiding and pressure regulator. Exhaust considerations are just around the corner.
Last edited by 74_Vega_GT on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
74_Vega_GT

Postby Smiley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:23 pm

How do the V6 headers fit with those motor mounts ?

For the bellhousing I would use a V8 Monza setup, it uses a 10.5" clutch and the same cable type fork as your Vega but it bolts to a 4.3 V6 or a small block Chevy V8.
this allows you to reuse the stock Vega clutch pedal and cable linkage.
Truck bellhousings usually use 11" clutches so they take up more room at the firewall and the do not use the cable fork linkage.
Most Vega engine swaps will require some firewall massaging with a large hammer for bellhousing area.
zerks can be removed after greasing or newer style inner tie rods have the zerks facing the rear of the car instead of towards the oil pan if you are replacing them.
after you clearance the firewall jack up the trans tailshaft as far as possible and recheck the oil pan clearance, you may still need a modified steel pan.
https://kevkoracing.com/collections/4-3 ... -3l-v6-pan Kevco Racing makes 4.3 pans for one or two piece rear main seal blocks but you would have to call them for a V6 Vega pan.
It is best to leave the steering link OEM, level the motor and mod the oil pan if needed.

ACE 71-75 trans cross member welded, Satin black powder coated.Part # 10530 $ 111.61
ACE 71-75 trans cross member with brackets un welded, painted. Part # 10538 $ 102.83 -if you have a welder I would get this one,
after the engine is in place and level. install and tack side brackets to the xmember rails, then remove and weld it off of the car. Paint and reinstall.

Smiley

Return to General Discussion