Not getting Fuel

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Not getting Fuel

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:37 pm

This 77 Starfire I am working on is not getting fuel after you let it sit for a few weeks. When you crank the motor it takes a while for the fuel pump to turn on but even after it does come on there does not seem to be much fuel coming to the carb. Does anybody have any ideas?

I've replaced the fuel pump and oil pressure switch without any improvement.

Can I bypass the oil pressure switch to just run the fuel pump for a while?

Thanks,

Jeff
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Re: Not getting Fuel

Postby jpb04619 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 pm

i always used to carry a short jumper wire with me to jump/check the fuel pump...was male spade terminal on both ends , i think it is the outside 2 terminals you jump, but don't hold me to it.lol......john b
jpb04619

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Jeff, a few things to check (assuming the pump is running) is the small rubber hoses that connect the sender to the hard line at the front of the fuel tank. They could be old and collapsed. Otherwise just follow the line and make sure nothing got kinked. I assume yo replaced or at least checked the filter sock on the fuel pump. I suppose there could be some kind of restriction in the line, you could blow them out with a air compressor and see if you get any rust or contamination blown out. There shouldn't be too many reasons you are not getting fuel flow if the pump is running......
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:31 pm

I've never had a Starfire so I don't have any experience with them. I'm assuming you have an intank fuel pump. If so, there is a short rubber hose coming off the fuel pump that connects to the line coming out of the tank. This short rubber hose gets soft over time and starts to split, at least reducing fuel pressure. This has happened to me on a Cosworth, the pump was running but all it ended up doing was pushing the fuel around inside the tank.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby dindin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:49 pm

OldsStarfire wrote:This 77 Starfire I am working on is not getting fuel after you let it sit for a few weeks. When you crank the motor it takes a while for the fuel pump to turn on but even after it does come on there does not seem to be much fuel coming to the carb. Does anybody have any ideas?

I've replaced the fuel pump and oil pressure switch without any improvement.

Can I bypass the oil pressure switch to just run the fuel pump for a while?

Thanks,

Jeff

You prolly should get a fuel pressure guage to see whats happening.

Al
dindin

Postby OldsStarfire » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Figured it out. I jumped the oil pressure switch and gas poured into my catch bottle. I then hooked the line to the carb and still no fuel. Figured there must be a blockage. Believe it or not the new AC Delco fuel filter was bad. The spring loaded plunger in the center would not open and no fuel was getting in. I removed this plunger and all is well. :th:

Thanks everybody !
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Jeff, glad you got it running. I need to ask though, are you sure you had the filter going in the correct direction? I think that plunger is a 1 way check valve to make sure fuel doesn't drain back. It may only flow in one direction.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to General Discussion