1979 Monza body to a Camaro chassis? Or I am new enemy?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

1979 Monza body to a Camaro chassis? Or I am new enemy?

Postby MairC » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:04 pm

I have a garage find 1979 Monza Spyder drag car that is purple. Base color was Skylark blue. The same blue colored car my sister used to drop me off in at High School. The boy is going to be my street cruiser in memory of the girl that tried and died. So. if the frame is a (No Joy) can I upgrade it to say a Camaro chassis? I am a Tool and Die maker by trade so cutting stuff in half and conjoining is not new to me. Just wanted to avoid as many issues as possible and not make enemies of the H-body people. It has a roll cage but that adds to the look with the 5 point harnesses. There is always a happy medium, just need to find it. Thank you for the time to read. It was a 2+2 but cage and goon before I found it in a garage sitting for 8 years, gauge wires and useless junk draped over him. A Jig to hold 4 points /cut and compress to within .015 can do. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any input. Yes this project is a (He) in Honor of my lost best friend. My Sister. Cheers.
MairC

Re: 1979 Monza body to a Camaro chassis? Or I am new enemy?

Postby Smiley » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Post some pictures of what you have for a better answer.

2WD 2 door S10 Blazer is the closest S10 for length, track width and gas tank location.

It has been done, he already had the Blazer laying around for parts.
He moved the rear wheel well openings before deciding to remake the center section of the frame.
So if you adjusted the S10 wheelbase to an H-body while fabbing the shorter center frame section , the rear fender mods would not be required.
S10 Drop spindles in the front and take one leaf out of the rear springs if you want it lower.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=42946

Last edited by Smiley on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Smiley

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:48 pm

S10 frame would be easier, there is a company that makes shortening or lengthening kits for that . :th:

Doug in P.R. 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby Kenova » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Loosing a sister is hard. You don't realize how big of a role they played in our lives untill they are gone.
I believe all generations of Camaro would be too wide. The two wheel drive S10 and it's variants have the same wheel track width. The only hurdle would be ride height but I'm sure there are suspension mods and kits available to achieve the desired height and handling.
As mentioned, we do like lots of pictures around here.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Return to General Discussion