Continued - DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CAR

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Continued - DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CAR

Postby EagleFish » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi! Gang,

The other thread was getting a little long in the tooth. So, I began a continuation thread. Well, the seller delivered the car on Saturday (11/04), late afternoon. WOO! HOO! It is setting out at Richard's place now. I removed the fuel tank Saturday night and it came out very easily - and well, YUCKY! inside. but, no rust or corrosion. There is a place in St. Petersburg that will clean it up real nice and coat the inside, although, it doesn't need it. Still, I want it coated. The tank already has a drain plug in the lower left rear corner - SWEET! The seller threw in a new fuel pump, too. When I went back out the next day, Richard had washed the car and cleaned the tires and wheels. What a fiend! The two of us rigged up a gravity feed gas tank filled with white gas with a neoprene hose and primer bulb and attached the container to front of the hood. Then we fitted the hose onto the fuel inlet on the Holley 4bbl racing carb. (No choke) I may change that out after I run it a little bit to check out the performance. Hit the key and it fired up on the 3rd try. Not bad, considering off rich it was running! After freeing up the sticking linkage and some minor adjustments to the carb, it now purrs like a kitten and ROARS like a Lion!!!!! Not bad for an engine that has not ran in 5 years. (Yes, we took care of all of the fluids and the oil gallery) Next will be to fix the brakes, although the emergency brake works - go figure after 5 years of sitting and not being used. Yes, it needs some work but, the worst is getting the windshield pulled and repair a few rust spots along in the bottom of the windshield area. They are not very bad, though. Put the fuel tank back in and take it for a drive. Yes!, this is a daily drivable car for only $2200. Oh, I need just about every interior plastic panel. I think I will repaint it Carmin. So, if anyone has some good Carmin interior panels let me know. I'll post some more pics next time. Talk at ya later.

John
John and Richard
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Re: Continued - DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CAR

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:21 pm

If you see Chad Rivers again tell him he should have taken the $3k I offered him last year. :lol: He felt it was gold. Oh well. At least its in a GOOD home.

Please...respect the history of the car. This truly was a special car with an SCCA history. I had planned to restore it to its SCCA trim if I bought it. The hitch on the back is part of that story. Padgett towed a small trailer with his racing gear behind the car. See the last paragraph of the story below.

padgett1.jpg
padgett2.jpg

Be sure to examine the a-arm connection points. His page (which is now gone) mentioned that he parked the car due to the lower control arm points cracking due to the heavy road racing done with the car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby EagleFish » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:21 pm

I left out that the car this coupe has the fold-down seat back with an opening into the trunk option.

John
John and Richard
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby cammerjeff » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:48 pm

John,

I tried to return you PM message, but it looks like you have that option turned off on this sites user control panel.

So far I have only located 1 or the 3 NOS caps, so I need to keep looking in the chaos this weekend. When I find the other 2 I will need $75 each so $225 plus shipping so call it $230.00 shipped to you in FL.

But I don't want to ship until I find the other 2 so don't send any $$$ yet.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby EagleFish » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to get that turned on.

Okay, just let me know when u find them and I'll send the money.

John
John and Richard
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Return to General Discussion