Intank fuel pump

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Intank fuel pump

Postby 283vega » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:26 pm

What are people using for in tank pumps these days. Ive replaced mine twice and I think the cheap chinese airtex pumps dont like being submerged in gas . May be the added ethenol eats at them. Im basically lazy and I dont have lots of time so I dont want to reinvent the wheel. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome! Oh this is for a possible fast or fitech fuel injection conversion to be done at the same time so a hi pressure pump is needed.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Re: Intank fuel pump

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:02 pm

I tried looking for a fuel pump for an early 3rd Gen F body as they were available in both carb and FI (high pressure), thinking it should be close to the Monza and therefore an easy swap to the eventual Fuel Injection swap. I however didn't find any listings with pic's and few without. Maybe you will have better luck/skill at that search. This was just my thoughts I don't know if this will work. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Cosworth owners have used the intank pump for a V6 Fiero, don't get the one for the 4 cyl. because it is low pressure. Some minor mods are necessary but many have used the V6 pump.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby docbillet » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 am

I bought a stock replacement Buick Grand National fuel pump and installed it for my 1980 Monza fuel injection conversion. Works well, bought it at NAPA.
docbillet

1980 Chevrolet Monza

Postby kgroombr » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:53 pm

I had issues with fuel pumps going bad due to rust in the tank. Even with the sock, small particles still get by and I don't think it takes much to tear up a fuel pump. Since I started coating the inside of the tank, I have never had an issue. I also think it could be related to ethanol added to the fuel. Fortunately for me, I have a few non-ethanol gas stations within 15 minutes of me.

I use this to coat my tanks with great success: https://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealers.html

It works well, but I spend a lot of time preparing the tank to ensure it coats and sticks well.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby 1oldmf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 pm

using walbro 255, 2yrs now, no problems with the pump.
but.......at less than 1/2 tank, it uncovers the pump screen on stops/turns.
looking at hydramat pick up, or surge tank & 2nd pump.
1oldmf

Return to General Discussion