elbow grease or median blasting

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

elbow grease or median blasting

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:56 am

OK would a paint stripper be to tough on the alloy or should I get these media blasted to strip them? have only two to do.

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Re: elbow grease or median blasting

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Hey Rick those look familiar :? I would read the precautions on the container first to make sure that the one you choose doesn't have an "Issue" with aluminum but other wise I would probably go straight to the paint stripper. Judging by the "Kid" I bought them from they were probably "Spray Bombed" and that may wash of with lacquer thinners, Methanol softens lots of those paints as well, but success diminishes with age, Scotch Brite helps with both of those choices. Media blasting [even fine glass] will leave an "etched surface" that will look very dull [but worse is that will corrode quickly untreated]. Those will have enough polishing work without adding more they weren't exceptionally well cared for [or badly "beaten"] but they are getting up there in age now, so they have some character on them! Glad you have tires available for them. I thought they would look sharp on an H-Body, can't wait for pic's to prove it. Which car are you planning on using them on [you have two now right]?
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks for the advice Harry, elbow grease, paint stripper and fine sandpaper it is. Just have the one blue Monza, the other Monza I bought a few years ago was a donor, bottom was completely rusted out, but the interior was in great shape.

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:57 am

There are a bunch of different types of paint stripper out there, and some will eat into the aluminum. Look for "aircraft" paint stripper; it will be aluminum-safe.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Return to General Discussion