Door hinge pins

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Door hinge pins

Postby HenryJ » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:12 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Ouch......obviously the result of no lubrcation for many years. Bushings are not a problem, I have them if needed (as well as pins). As far as the roller, that was part of the hinge and not spared separately. Problem is the hinges are welded to the chassis and door. If you can find a used hinge you may be able to figure out a way to replace the roller.
Are your hinge pins and bushings NOS GM parts? I am a little hesitant to try aftermarket replacements , or some of the similar pins I see out there. If you are keeping prices and info "confidential" drop me a PM and lets talk :)

I think I have the door check figured out. That old one was fairly easy to remove. A little wiggle and pry ...the pin came right out. the riveted side was already broken off as you can see in that picture.
The roller is #10 ID x 1/2" OD x 3/4" long , a zinc plated steel spacer is available. The "pivot" pin needs to be 3/16" dia. so I am thinking a clevis pin 1 1/4" long may work. Stainless steel is available. Headed to the hardware store tomorrow to check out what is available local before ordering online.
"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
HenryJ

Postby HenryJ » Mon May 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Ok, a quick follow up. Third time is the charm. Two inexpensive sets off ebay failed to be a good fit.
I "bit the bullet" and bought the expensive set from Total automotive. Nice stainless steel hinge pins of the correct dimensions. Bronze bushings. Seems to be a good choice for a quality replacement.
The door check rollers: Stainless steel 3/16"x1-1/4" clevis pins and zinc plated steel rollers. Rollers are back ordered, but pins fit nicely.

Image Image

Door hinge pins and bushings no longer slowing progress... :)
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
HenryJ

Postby monzaaddict » Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 am

monzaaddict

Postby Monza Harry » Wed May 09, 2018 6:41 pm

monzaaddict: Thanx for the link! Quality looking pieces there! HenriJ: Nice build you have going there! There are a number of build threads with pages of threads and posts about the cut front bumper, many nice looking approaches to make them look more finished [but all require a re-plate :( but definitely worth it] "Dadhad1" just put a plate across the grill side opening and re-plated not my favourite approach but based on the scale of the car and the opening size, probably the best proportioned of them all. I prefer the contouring to match the fender end, but the proportions are just better with the flat end with nicely radiused corners. That car has some serious rear tires there and I am [Very, Very] Weak for Vega Wagons! Thanx for the Visual! Harry I didn't see a great pic of the bumper ends in the three seconds I spent looking, but I am sure you can find some inspiration there, and if you want the "Period Correct" then those all mostly just felt effects of the "Hacksaw" memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5872
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby HenryJ » Tue May 15, 2018 8:02 pm

So for any who might be following this, the Bunting Bearings FF520-5 Flanged Bearings are indeed a better match to the Totalauto.com part # TAI-GMHK35 hinge pins. Much tighter. They come in packs of three, so be sure to order three packages :)
HenryJ

Postby cjbiagi » Wed May 16, 2018 8:21 am

The ones I sell have the same specs....at about 1/3rd of the price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/142793690531?s ... 1555.l2649
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby HenryJ » Fri May 18, 2018 9:18 pm

cjbiagi wrote:The ones I sell have the same specs....
Same specs as the FF520-5 , or OEM stock bushings?
HenryJ

Postby cjbiagi » Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 pm

They are for oem pins, 1/2” od 3/8” id. That is the same as ff520 bushings
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby HenryJ » Sat May 19, 2018 7:38 pm

cjbiagi wrote:They are for oem pins, 1/2” od 3/8” id. That is the same as ff520 bushings
Thank you.
I have a set of new "stock size" bushings and the set that came with the TA pins. There seems to be some variation in the 3/8" specifications. The FF520-5 set seem to be just slightly tighter. In a long heavy door it is noticeable.
HenryJ

Postby cjbiagi » Sat May 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Oh ok, I am sure there is tolerance variations. Good info!
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Previous

Return to General Discussion