Headliner alternatives

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Headliner alternatives

Postby 75Monz » Thu May 10, 2018 11:55 am

Hi everyone, just joined back up since I forgot my user info from 5 years ago. Got busy building a house, so my poor Monza's have sat neglected since. I pulled out one of my 75 Towne Coupes out from storage yesterday and am getting back to where I left off. My problem is that I had a good headliner backpanel that I scavenged and was getting ready to recover it and install, was in the middle of re-doing interior. Thanks to wife's unwelcome stray barn cat, the backpanel met an untimely demise. Anyone figured out how to make their own backpanel from like uhmw sheeting or something? Trying to figure out what my next step will be. :?:
For reference, I have 2 '75 California edition Towne Coupes with 350 stock, one with auto, one with 4 speed saginaw and 1 '76 standard coupe with 305 factory and auto.
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Re: Headliner alternatives

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Thu May 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Hardboard from Home Depot perhaps?
Or try a sign shop they should have corrugated plastic sheeting like they use for election signs.

Doug in P.R. 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby leander » Fri May 11, 2018 12:00 am

Check out wlsheadliners. They have a good selection of headliner material and supplies.
leander

Postby Fastmax32168 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 am

I took what was left of my old backing panel and using it as a mold I worked it over and covered it with fiberglass.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby PaulR » Fri May 18, 2018 1:13 am

Headliner material can run the range from cheap, short nap carpet, to perforated leather. It's the backing that's the bittch to find. It has to be relatively easy to cut and shape, plus maybe hold a fastener or tow and retain it's shape under the weight of the covering.

The big box stores sell fiberglass panels in 4x8 sheets and not a lot of money. They're water proof, can hold their shape, easy enough to cut, glue well and can be forced into curves without buckling. Use your old headliner as a pattern to cut the new one, then just select the covering of choice. The last one I made I use a foam backed fabric, I picked up from the local crafts store (Joann Fabrics). I did use the good 3M aerosol adhesive, to make it stick.
PaulR

Postby Bullet » Fri May 18, 2018 8:49 am

Go to your local junk yard or pull-a-part and find a mid to late 80's Chevy/GMC full size van and pull the board. It is plenty big enough and you may even be able to do both cars with one. Just cut, trim as needed. If you need a paper pattern of the board for your coupes, I can probably make one for you. I have a couple coupes myself and one board is currently out and in my basement carefully protected in the upright position between two pieces of plywood.

By the way, the van would probably have to be a passenger van or a flat top conversion van to have a headliner in the back.
Bullet

Postby dindin » Fri May 18, 2018 9:53 am

Sintra Board in pretty cool stuff, you can heat it and it can be formed.

Al
dindin

Postby 75Monz » Fri May 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks for the Ideas, never even though of grabbing a van board and cutting it out. So question on that, once you mark and cut the basic shape, did you have to do the relief cuts on the back side to roll the corners like the factory board?
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Postby Bullet » Fri May 18, 2018 4:37 pm

There are relief cuts at the corners. I have an upholstery tool that looks like a small pizza cutter but the roller is wider and has a groove in the middle. I'll try to find one and post a link. You mark where the bend lines are and use the roller. It compresses the board so it will bend along the crease. Once you see the roller it will make more sense.

Door screen tool is what I have. We used it in upholstery.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Screen-Spline- ... SwuuRaqtKb
Bullet

Return to General Discussion