Carpet time

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Carpet time

Postby dindin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:58 am

Well almost done with interior..got floor cleaned and epoxy primered added some mats and carpet on top..I did not use any glue and am wondering if anyone ever has for a very tight fit?? I have wrinkles here and there but from what I remember the factory carpet was not perfect either..

floor 1.png

mats.png

shifter.png

carpet 4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dindin

Re: Carpet time

Postby 75Monz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 am

Looks nice. Every carpet I've done has wrinkles to a degree. The way I was shown was let the carpet sit out flat for a few days after you take it out of the box then use the steamer method as described here...
"Steam to shape – Most molded carpet sets are folded, rolled, and shipped in a box that is not as big as you might think. This will cause the carpet to crease, wrinkle, and become slightly deformed. For a carpet to fit and lay down as best as possible an upholstery steamer works wonders on these areas. I recommend laying the carpet out on a flat surface for a couple days prior to installation. This gives it time to relax from being bound up inside the box. An upholstery steamer can work wonders on your new carpet. Before installation, place the steamer underneath the folds and creases while the carpet is still on the floor. Pull and stretch these areas until the crease as unnoticeable as possible. The steamer will also allow you to stretch and massage the carpet into contoured areas during installation."
I didn't do this on the last one I did for my 71 GMC and it took almost a year for the wrinkles to mostly disappear. They were caused by all the dynomat I put in and the Mega shifter mount pressing on the edge near the tunnel though.
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:07 am

Getting the carpet to fit properly, especially in a 1975, is tough. I spent days getting it to look good. Some of those creases can be a real bear to get out, just work one at a time as described above. I really wish they would ship these differently. I would gladly pay extra for a better packing/bigger box that would not crease it so badly. I am sure it probably looks good after the mold process, then they cram it into a tiny box.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:02 pm

I have been farting around with this rug for about a week now,

I took it out of the box (which it was sitting in for about 3 years!) and let it sit for a few days in my basement, then took it out in the sun for a day and used a steamer..Did not seem as much as I had hoped

The tunnel in the rear was sitting so high I had to add padding..I read the pros make cuts in certain spots to get a tight fit..

The only thing I did not try is glue..it looks easy when the pros do it.but not sure it would not look worse seeing I cannot "finesse" the carpet like a pro.

Just curious if anyone did use the glue method and how it worked for them..

Glad to seem that time helps some also to get rid of the wrinkles , that a good enough reason to just leave it and get the interior done :lol:

Al
dindin

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:10 pm

You can use glue if the part you are gluing it to is flat. Otherwise it will conform to whatever shape the backing is.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:36 pm

I used spray glue when I did the cab of my truck. It helps BUT like you found if there is TOO much carpet in an area like you had over the rear tunnel area, glue wont shrink the carpet so you can still end up with creases or lumps.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dindin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:24 pm

79MonzaSpyder wrote:" TOO much carpet in an area like you had over the rear tunnel area, glue wont shrink the carpet so you can still end up with creases or lumps.

I was thinking about pulling the carpet down tight and glueing it down, but decided to let be..I think slicing it and taking out a couple inches would make it look perfect but then I would need an upholstery guy..overall though it looks very nice to me.

Al
dindin

Postby spyderhunter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:58 am

Where is the best place to buy the carpet? I have seen them advertised at JC Whitney but am unsure of the fit or quality of the carpet.
spyderhunter

Postby dindin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:36 pm

ACC Carpet is pretty cheap on Rock Auto Parts..
dindin

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:51 pm

ACC is the most common and many other places that sell carpet actually end up being ACC. I used them twice for my Monza over the years, I have my issues with them but I don't have any other recommendations.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby dindin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:11 pm

I think Clyde is right about everyone selling ACC ,I paid double what Rock Auto charges for the same carpet..

I also think they are made to order and drop shipped from ACC factory..So just go with cheapest price!

Al
dindin

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:48 pm

dindin wrote:I think Clyde is right about everyone selling ACC ,I paid double what Rock Auto charges for the same carpet..

I also think they are made to order and drop shipped from ACC factory..So just go with cheapest price!

Al

Yes every price/product I checked had at least some part of the ACC # in it! And don't forget things like shipping when it comes to price, being in Canada cheapest place was about the middle of the heard, as they bought a few customers carpet in one shot and split the import fee's and no "Handling Fee's", so the end price was actually cheaper than the "cheapest" price otherwise. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spyderhunter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Ok great! Thanks. I just checked out their site. Not sure what was in the car for loop style. Does it really matter? Which is nicer? Sorry Dindin, not trying to hijack your thread...
spyderhunter

Postby dindin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm

spyderhunter wrote:Ok great! Thanks. I just checked out their site. Not sure what was in the car for loop style. Does it really matter? Which is nicer? Sorry Dindin, not trying to hijack your thread...

My 1975 Vega had cut pile. the top of the carpet is flat on top and looks nicer more 'plush' in my opinion . the looped carpet has rounded top..
Usually cars from the 60's I have seen loop style, like older camaros mustangs corvettes ect..I did not think they offered it in a H-body, maybe in the older ones I don't know like I said my is from 1975.

Al
dindin

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Cut doesn't "snag and run" as easily as loop carpet, the Essex is beautiful but then your hatch side carpets, door panels, and rear seat backs will not match, I was heavily divided on the Essex because of this point. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to General Discussion