How do I know if my Mirage is real?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How do I know if my Mirage is real?

Postby stage169 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks for the bigger pic on that Mirage document!

Like you said this document doesn't reference your VIN and the title has nothing to show it as a Mirage. Monzaaddict saw that the Mirage document shows Firethorn color vinyl bucket seats. Maybe if all the other options are on your car but over the years all those could be changed. Only 1,610 Monza's for 1977 had that RPO code UM2 (AM/FM radio tape player). Not that I can tell but it looks like it doesn't have the rear window defogger?

Maybe a Mirage but not the one the document shows, unless you have anything else it might take a resto package from VVS to be sure. Brian
stage169

Postby spyderhunter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:02 am

VVS? How do I go about that?
spyderhunter

Postby stage169 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:46 am

https://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/ Not cheap around a $100.00 but without a doubt will show what options your car came with. If you contact them mention that you believe your car is a Mirage and should have the ZX1 RPO.

rm617 wrote:You can contact George Zapora by email at George.Zapora@cc.gm.ca. He can verify for sure if it is a real Mirage or not. If it is, he will send you a document like the attached.

George Zapora
General Motors of Canada
Vintage Vehicle Services
CA1-160-001
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, ON
Canada L1H 8P7

Phone: 905-440-7636
Fax: 905-440-7644
stage169

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:07 pm

spyderhunter wrote:Yes there were lots of holes for the mounting strip to hold the panels on, and the paint was white under the stripes that were painted also. I had bought a bunch of parts from Gulfport, MS. and may have mixed one of the documents with the title that I got with the car. So I'm not even sure if that belongs to my car. There was so much going on at the time I bought it, and being 7 yrs ago, I just can't remember. I hope I can remember how to put everything back!! :bang:

I wasn't talking about the holes for the mounting strips. I was talking about the one hole at the front of the rear panels just behind the door. there is a clip that goes in hole and then a pin molded in the panel that fits into clip. The body tag in engine compartment is going to tell you the factory interior color and carpet I believe - what does it show?
I don't see anything to indicate your car is anything other than a well used factory mirage. The guy before you owned it since 94. None of the stickers were reproduced any earlier than the 90's. All the panels are there with all the mounting strips, etc. The door sticker is there. The blackout between the taillights and lower front fascia is there. Get the VVS report if you want definitive proof.
monzaaddict

Postby spyderhunter » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:56 pm

I called to get the VVS report started. Left a message, but no return call yet. Yes the mounting clip was there on the front edge of the quarter also (with the clip).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spyderhunter

Postby stage169 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 pm

02V = White Vinyl with Blue Accent. That looks like your interior. Keep us posted on VVS!
stage169

Postby spyderhunter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Paper work started for VVS today. I feel pretty confident from our conversations here that it is a Mirage, just with different interior. I'm glad actually, because I've never been a fan of all interior colors being one color. I prefer another color to off set things a little. Hoping to start putting the engine back together this weekend also. Griffin aluminum radiator on the way too. I was hoping to get it all put back together before fall, but there is just way too much work to do. I will do a better job over the winter not rushing just to hear the thunder and smell a little rubber burning....oh well, I can touch her off in the spring! :th: :th:
spyderhunter

Postby spyderhunter » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Well...as usual...something always puts a damper on this project. I was told a few weeks ago that the company I work for is dissolving,restructuring, and downsizing. Yep, I'll be out of a job in about 6 weeks with a very small severance since I've only been with them for 3 yrs. At least I have all of the engine parts to put it back together, but for now the rest......well, it's resting some more.
spyderhunter

Postby stage169 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:42 am

Sorry to hear and I hope something better shows up! Brian
stage169

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:11 am

stage169 wrote:Sorry to hear and I hope something better shows up! Brian

X2!!! Now that you have a chance to make a change, [I have thought long and hard and then looked for some different things from my not as stable as I would like industry, when "Handed" such opportunities,] you can consider a career change, perhaps automotive machinist, fabricator(?) or other project completing job. Just some food for thought. Now while time is in abundance and money not so much, look at your car, there will still be places you can move forward and "keep that [project interest] fire burning"! Sorry to hear that bit of misfortune for you, keep us posted and Good Luck! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Sorry to hear that. What type of industry were you in? Maybe someone on here has connections to help you.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Previous

Return to General Discussion