my IMSA is it the freedom flyer

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

my IMSA is it the freedom flyer

Postby mldeolde » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:23 pm

was contacted by member monzaaddict the other day telling me that he was quite sure that my IMSA was accually the Freedom flyer famous original street IMSA Monza way back in 1975. he has pointed out some very idiocincresies assocaited with this car. he is really into identifying that my car is this one. I got to tell you that at first I was very hesitant to accept his hypothicys but he has brought up some very interesting info such as the fact that the original owner lived in chino which is less than 20 miles from the auto shop where I found it and that the owner "may be'' austrailiun. my hood has a sheet metal and insulation on the passenger in the same place as the turbo was in that car. lots of other little things. very interesting... I will be interested in what turns up :dance: :th:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Re: my IMSA is it the freedom flyer

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm not familiar with the Freedom Flyer, any other information about it?

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby classic_cruiser » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:08 pm

There is this related thread on here, not much else I could find:

http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36889
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:52 pm

Freedom flyer article Dec 75 Car Craft
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 pm

Check this out. Chino champion Newspaper Dec 19. 1975 ( my birthday I might ad). Dan Bruno worked for Guldstrand. Guldstrand was going to build some tube frame Monza's for IMSA similar to DEKON and the cars were going to be raced by James Garner and Bobby Allison. Dan Sure looks Austrailian in photo. He tried running for mayor of Chino. I think I found another article where he was voted person of year in 78.
Garner was an equal partner with Guldstrand ,Bob Bondurant, Don Rabbitt (former PR man for Shelby) and Sandy Sandin in the AIR (American International Racing) team and the teams facilities were located a few door down from Guldstrand's shop.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/984 ... =undefined
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Here is a thread from 2012 where the present owner not realizing it is the same car, comments that his car has the same early style imsa panels as the freedom flyer. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36889
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:12 am

Mel Bunnell Chevrolet was located at 373 E. Pomona in Pomona, California. Their old phone number was 622-1136. Milford O. Bunnell who helmed Bunnell Chevrolet into the 1980s was later president of Enterprise Chevrolet Inc. on 1079 West Foothill Boulevard in Upland, California which is a bit north-east of Pomona. The Foothill Blvd location is now home to MOUNTAIN VIEW CHEVROLET.
Pomona upholstery is still in business . A review mentions an old guy who I would imagine is the same person who did tunnel pad and installed fire suppression system back in 75. https://pomonaupholstery.business.site/
Speedway built the floater rear. http://1speedway.com/?route=common/home
Dick Guldstrand did the suspension work, the roll bar and installed the panels. I would imagine they had experience working with fiberglass being a corvette guy. Dick Guldstrand is dead - company is dissolved. He has living relatives
Jim Davis did the paint and his crew did the gold leaf. Jim Davis custom Automotive - Jim Davis was A NHRA champion in 69. He built Dragster chassis' custom cars and bikes. He died in 88, his son (also Jim ) also died in a racing accident. I am sure he has relatives but there are a lot of Davis's in the phone book. I found a Don Clar who was a long time worker but he is dead too.
I am pretty sure I found Dan Bruno's daughter. After messaging back and forth, she asked for my number and said she would answer my questions. I think Dan is still alive. (He had a brother who died in 2014 - I think they are the Australians the body shop you bought car from were talking about). You might even get to talk to Dan Bruno yourself.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Postby stage169 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:37 am

Wow that is really cool! Nice job Monzaaddict! :th:
stage169

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:55 am

this is the full text from the above newspaper article

FREEDOM FLYER buUt by Dan Bruno, left, will be duplicated for the Camel GT racing series, by Guldstrand Engineering for its drivers, Jim Garner, with Mr. Bruno above, and Bobby Allison. Mr. Bruno is director of promotion and sponsor liaison for Guldstrand, a position that blocked his running for mayor Chino.

Bruno in races, not for mayor Dan Bruno, local nurseryman, auto racing buff and former councilman, will not join the race for mayor - he's joining a firm that builds cars for the Camel GT Challenge racing series. Guldstrand Engineering of Culver City has announced that Mr. Bruno has been appointed director of promotional activities for the 1976 racing series. That's 16 races, nine in this country, one in Canada and six in Europe. Mr. Bruno's responsibilities will be to personally direct and coordinate show activities involving Dick Guldstrand's Freedom Flyers '76, driving team, Jim Garner and Bobby Allison. He will also serve as liaison between Guldstrand Engineering and its sponsors. Mr. Bruno said he had intended to run for mayor,' which he did in 1972, but the new position developed and Mr. Bruno will be doing considerable traveling. He said that his headquarters will be in Chino and industrial contacts among the race car sponsors will be visiting Chino. Two Chinoans who will work with Mr. Bruno parttime are John Madole and Mike Hoffman, who will help with the cars. Guldstrand has adopted the Freedom Flyer name and motif of Mr. Bruno's special Chevrolet Monza 2 plus 2, and two duplicates of the car will be built.
monzaaddict

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 am

Well, from going from not knowing anything about the car to learning a great history, exceptional background digging by Monzaaddict, your name here is well deserved!

Dick
hammerdown7

Postby mldeolde » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:16 am

interesting. :?: wonder if the other 2 cars were ever built and if so my car could be one of those too.
mldeolde

Postby mldeolde » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:21 am

also I was thinking this morning that when received my car had a very interesting remote oil filter system mounted in the front of the drivers side wheel whel with a very large oil filter. looked like it might be a diesel part it was so large. very unusual piece.
mldeolde

Postby 283vega » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:48 am

What state is your car in these days . I have not seen any recent posts from you? I always found them interesting.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:33 pm

mldeolde wrote:interesting. :?: wonder if the other 2 cars were ever built and if so my car could be one of those too.

I would guess the other two cars were full-on race cars. A series that travels to Europe would not put all their hopes into one car without a backup.

Dick
hammerdown7

Postby mldeolde » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:09 pm

the car is still in riverside California as it has been since I received it. not much done on the car for about the last 4 years due to financial concerns brought on by business upheaval and trying to plan for my now recent retirement.
mldeolde

Next

Return to General Discussion