Weights and measures. Input required.

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Weights and measures. Input required.

Postby Lunatic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:40 am

Fellas, I'm not sure what to do and I need a little advice.

I bought a '78 Starfire rolling chassis. It's a Southern car, and therefore, it's very solid. This will be the platform that I wish to build upon.

The issue that I face is engine weight. A V8 Chev, from this era, is heavy. The last V8 Monza that I had went well but lacked in the handling department. This time, I'd like to build something better.

My wife has an LS1 powered Formula. It pulls hard and handles well. It also has T-tops and it's nice to look at. I don't want an F body for myself.

Would any of you rather have an all aluminum turbocharged four cylinder then a nose heavy V8? I think a turbocharged Ecotec will be sufficient. Around 250 horsepower and 300 pounds lighter off the front end.

I have a welder and access to CNC equipment so this would be easy to do. I also have an imagination. I was also pondering going mid-engine to centralize the weight. I have some ideas there too.

I'd like to hear your inputs please. Thanks.
Lunatic

Re: Weights and measures. Input required.

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:04 am

Food for thought: you may want to compare weights.

Jeff Schwartz told me that when he was considering powerplants for the Flyin' Turd Vega that the turbo Ecotec weighed more than the all-aluminum 5.3 LS out of the TrailBlazer that he selected for use in the car.

But I think the turbo Ecotec would be pretty cool.

Here's a couple of looks at David Carroll's De La Vega LTG-powered '73:
https://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/ban ... egas-ever/
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/e ... chevy-vega

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:13 am

I would also suggest comparing actual weights, I don't know what a Ecotec weighs but I don't think there would be a 300 lb difference. Also, consider the total if you use aluminum heads and intake, the difference would be even less.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Lunatic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've looked at the weights of several engine and transmission combinations. The aluminum blocked 5.3 LS comes in around 500 pounds. The Vortec iron block 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 LS come in at 580 pounds. I have access to a Buick 350 and it's lighter coming in at 450 pounds. A normally aspirated Ecotec is 307 pounds. The T56 comes in at 115 pounds.

Yes, I can relocate the battery and transfer that weight to the rear. I'm still in the planning stages and I'll be looking through more build threads, that's for sure. Right now, I want something fuel injected and a manual transmission.
Lunatic

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Lunatic, welcome back I haven't seen you here in awhile! For engine choices there are lots, your Eco-tec would be a fine choice for the back seat [mid engine thinking :th: ] I however thought that a V-8 option would be more fun in the back seat, not many with manual trans though. :cry: :x The Eco-tec didn't come in a rear drive configuration that I remember, there by making any "tranny" bolt on, how should we say, DIFFICULLT! [not impossible just expensive and without much info] The 215(3.5L) Buick/Olds. is reported to weigh in at only #50's more than the Vega engine but with a much lower "CofG" (center of gravity) there are some pluses, but parts availability isn't one of them. :( That engine can still be brought up into the way upper 200" low 300HP range with fairly conventional parts, this has been a favourite of "back in the Day Builds" It does come to a pretty favourable power/weight ratio with the original "balance" mostly intact, with modern "good" tires of a little added girth that would be an absolute "Blast" to drive while being fairly economical (to drive). This brings us to the "Belly Button" choice of, an aluminum SBC of the LS persuasion. Not earth shattering in originality, but very much so in the power potential dept. Outside of P.S. or A/C hook ups a pretty conventional install by all accounts. Harry Please keep us in the loop. Thanx!
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:31 pm

2004 ls1 corvette engine weights as per GM.

Total dressed engine mass (wt.) dry
457.6 lb. automatic
497.2 lb. manual
I would assume this includes ac compressor and ps pump.

ls1 mounts/pan and headers are available from powerbyace.com. The parts are not cheap but eliminate weeks of fabrication. 98 stamped f body exhaust manifolds can be used if drivers side collector flange is cut down to match a standard 3 bolt header collector. sanderson ls1 s10 shorty headers can be massaged to fit. Ls1 will mate to a multitude of transmissions.
monzaaddict

Postby Lunatic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Monza Harry wrote:The Eco-tec didn't come in a rear drive configuration that I remember...

Thanks for the reply Harry.
The Solstice and Sky came with a longitudinal Ecotec and Aisin AR5 (ME5) five speed manual transmission. It was a traditional front engine rear drive configuration. In essence, you can take the 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotec and with the Solstice bellhousing and the Colorado transmission (no goofy flange) and mate it all together.

The 215 is old technology. Not to mention, difficult to find. I'd like something way more modern. But damn, everyone is putting LS engines into everything. I get it though. They have huge aftermarket support and parts are plentiful. I can fabricate and have access to some very cool CNC equipment so installing something else would be easy. I have a few ideas but I need to get out and take some more measurements.
Lunatic

Return to General Discussion