Where is Marco?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Where is Marco?

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:32 pm

CDA, Very true, I'm all for that. I don't do facebook at all, never have. I'm old school and this site has tons of information and the members here are very knowledgeable as well (wished I had become a member years ago). I've owner a Monza since 1985 and still find answers on this site and helpful people. And true it is sad to come here and see no new posts. Even if the person is doing something that I would never do to my H=Body its still an interesting read and interesting to see what other H-Body guys are doing to their rides. I've met some really nice people here that have helped me towards my goal of getting my H=Body back on the road. I will probably never meet many of them due to geography but that's whats great here is I can find help and information that I simply can find locally.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby classic_cruiser » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:47 pm

I have a FB account, but I never really cared for knowing what everyone was doing every minute... I might log on once a year or so to FB. It's not really a place to find information, just a place to see what's new more or less. I tend to check email and such over my lunch at work - FB is banned anyway by the corp internet!

Traffic has really dropped here in the last 2 years. I still check every weekday to see what's new. It's a far cry these days from at it's peak - I was shocked to see three of us online today at the same time!
"Most users ever online was 211 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:39 am"

I don't know how we would go about trying to bring members back. I think when they don't get their answers elsewhere, they would come back here once in a while. But a lot of it may be in that many have moved on and sold or stopped using their h-body - I've seen the same on the j-body.org website. Even less traffic over there, and the cars were a decade newer.
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby vegastre » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 pm

I hate to admit it...

...but I was surfing around Facebook today looking at various H-Body web sites and I did not find anything very exciting, unusual, or anything that hasn't been discussed here a million times on the "Official" H-Body website. A lot of yak, yak, yak for sure on FB. It depends on your reference point and if Facebook does it for you then I say, "wear it out".

My reference point here is more preservation than anything else. The information contained within this site is awesome and unrivaled. Archived in these digital pages is literally the keys to the H-Body universe. It's not to be taken litely. If you think it can be replaced by Facebook then think again. Marco's diligent archival dedication to these cars and this site is a pretty good example.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby NVEGAR8D » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi, I'd like to echo all the positive comments being aired. I have never left to fbook and don't care to. Unfortunately progress has halted for me as we made a move to a new house and have spent the last 2 years getting it up to speck. I have the shop almost done and now waiting for the thaw to build a shed out back for garden implements and snowblower so they can be removed out of my way. I'm on here a couple times a week but don't usually have anything extra that hasn't been said. People and information are great. So after all that, I am hoping to get back at the Vega this summer.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:40 am

Being retired now I do have more time to check various sites. The information here has always been excellent and continues to be. Facebook has its merits but there are just too many groups and very hard to follow or find a thread that you were following. I think a small niche group like our cars have is better suited to just one site but unfortunately that is not how it has become. As far as I am concerned this will always be the "official" H body forum and will continue to follow and support it. I don't even know if a lot of new people are even aware of this site. Many of us have been here for decades, I guess we are the old timers LOL
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:15 am

I'm only on the Cosworth FB page and I keep it that way by not friending anyone, my home page has virtually nothing on it. What I try to do for the H-body site is when someone asks some questions that relate to answers here I post a link to this site that applies to their question. Hopefully that will bring others here for all the great info this site has.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:30 am

That's a great way to spread the word.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby spyderhunter » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:34 pm

I have been a part of a martial arts group for over 40 years. A lot of other fly by night studios have popped up and pooped out over the years, but hardly any are left. True diligence and strong leadership have kept our organization alive and strong while others have died out. Just stay true to your cause and don't cave in to all the new hype and eventually people recognize you for what you are. Everyone likes something new, but eventually the new is gone and then; what is left? Returning to something that you can count on because someone had the courage to stick it out and the knowledge to back it up is what makes great businesses, organizations, and marriages last longer than the rest. It sucks sometimes in between, but it's worth it in the end to know you can count on someone to be there in the end and support each other. Be faithful everyone..... the flock will return.
spyderhunter

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:44 pm

Well, I'm kinda of late comer to this site. Owned a Monza since 1985 but just never joined any sites, was a visitor to this site a few times before joining. I am old school though, I don't do FB, never have. This site is awesome, a great bunch of people and a wealth of information and connections. People like Clyde will go way out of their way to try to help you and get a part your searching for or just information or specifications. Its great, wished I joined years ago. I'm all for keeping it alive and kick'n. I will be starting a project journal on here soon for my 79 Monza Spyder build.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:27 am

Count your blessings...

There was a time when there was no Internet and I was bumbling along in my garage alone in the World working on my Vega like I was in a Will Smith movie with my dog at my side. The birth of the Internet was/is by all rights the dawn of a new way to communicate. Let me be clear, if this site goes down and is lost I'll be all over H-Body Facebook threads like stink on shit. Until that time, this site is more than adequate for my needs.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby johnk » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:23 pm

I also thank the people on this site for hanging in there lol I don't post much but read all of the posts in some sections of this board. FB has some uses for getting information but it comes with a pound of salt or you get what you pay for LOL My Monza is making a good table right now but I hope to put it back together soon and this site is where I will look for information and advice that I will need. :th:
John K
johnk

Previous

Return to General Discussion