79 Monza Spyder 2 + 2 is this a rare number car? I'm new

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

79 Monza Spyder 2 + 2 is this a rare number car? I'm new

Postby 77_Skyhawk » Thu May 02, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi everybody I am a new subscriber here but have watched this website for years. I have owned a 77 Buick Skyhawk for about 26 years. I have done extensive modifications to it that hopefully I will be able to share with you. And then my latest acquirement is a 79 Chevy Monza Spyder. I got this car about 15 years ago. When I first got the car I ran the VIN number because I wasn't able to find the build sheet. The VIN number reveal to me that it was one of 1006 built that year that had the ZO6, z11 package. Now if this is true I would think this car would be a rare find? Here is posted a few pictures of it it is a true survivor all original except for the wheels. When I bought it it had a flat cam. Put a new Factory cam in it and cleaned it up changed a bunch of gaskets and it has running like a top. I have since done small things to help with economy and performance. I remove the belt driven fan and installed electric fan for one. This car has a factory Locker rear end in it you. It will truly roast both of them which I find pretty impressive for a two barrel LOL anyway I thought I would get some help and advise on the car. Currently I am trying to locate where I can get front brake calipers for it I don't want to change anything I want to keep it original keep it a true survivor. Is there anybody that has information on how to obtain either rebuild kits or front calipers? Thank you so much and I really look forward to building your friendship with you all. But I can't seem to post pictures that says invalid help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 77_Skyhawk on Thu May 02, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
77_Skyhawk

Re: New H body lover here

Postby 75Monz » Thu May 02, 2019 3:28 pm

I post pictures using hosting site Imgur. Will load a pic from computer or phone, then open the picture in my images, set the thumbnail size at the bottom, then copy under the BBCode and paste in the window here.
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Re: New H body lover here

Postby 77_Skyhawk » Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm

Well after about an hour digging around on the internet I finally found something to shrink these darn pictures. Unfortunately it only does 5 on a post at the piers. But that's okay so I will post the other ones here. Here is the VIN number also. Also the car has 111000 original miles which I think is not too bad. But ultimately I'm very curious as to what this thing is worth. All original paint only had a minor Collision in the front right corner which will likely get addressed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
77_Skyhawk

Re: 79 Monza Spyder 2 + 2 is this a rare number car? I'm new

Postby monzaaddict » Thu May 02, 2019 6:01 pm

what option does z06 z11 refer to? How did you determine this from the vin?
monzaaddict

Postby 75Monz » Thu May 02, 2019 6:46 pm

Not sure what those codes mean, didn't see them in the homestead listing http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html .
Don't see them in H-Body org either. https://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/hbo ... shtml#1.17
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Postby 77_Skyhawk » Thu May 02, 2019 7:39 pm

You are absolutely correct my friend. The years and old age have jumbled up those numbers in my head I actually went and looked it up myself again after you said something. The options that I'm referring to on this car are the Z01and Z02 packages that's what this one has. That makes me think it might be worth something. I noticed that it was just over 8,000 that were made. And I know for sure this car has these two packages because I have the gold horn button LOL
77_Skyhawk

Postby 77_Skyhawk » Thu May 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Thought I'd post the protecto plate also and my gold horn button LOL
77_Skyhawk

Postby 77_Skyhawk » Fri May 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Would really like to know if anybody has the knowledge to say so on what this thing is worth roughly? My goal from the beginning on this thing was to fix it up and sell it and take some of the parts off of it for my pro street car. But since then I have acquired the parts I needed for my Pro Street and don't really need anything off of it so I was just going to fix it up put it back to original and try and flip it. But enjoy driving it all at the same time
77_Skyhawk

Postby Diesel Dan » Fri May 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Nice looking car!
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby RobR » Fri May 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Nice and clean looking Spyder.
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby vegastre » Sat May 04, 2019 9:49 am

A rare car?

Absolutely...any H-body car is rare. Historically the H-Body platform was the first GM mass produced car designed to throw it away after a few years use. Designed obsolescence certainly found it's way in the 70's. In general terms the Gen 1 Vegas were and are the most rare H-Body cars simply because these were the first to face the "Crusher". These cars were the favorite of recycling yards for years. An absolutely stock untouched survivor first year Vega is almost non-existent. You can draw a line from there right through all divisions of GM and see very few unmolested examples. Moreover, even less examples of some one restoring or preserving these vehicles with any high degree of passion and/or commitment.

Sadly, even today these vehicles are not loved or appreciated for there original beauty by collectors. Historically, the odds are against you restoring your Spyder. The parts are to hard to find and it takes a whole lot of dedication to simply hold on to it and find a spot in your backyard. Do I have a positive? Absolutely, if you do restore the Spyder and you go to get gas people will crowd around it with all kinds of questions and compliments because truthfully, it's so rare to see one on the roads today it's like a space ship from Mars that just came down from the heaves to gas up.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 77_Skyhawk » Sun May 05, 2019 10:48 am

Well then thanks for that reply great information. I'm actually one of the few people I think that actually like the styling of this car and that's why I've had them my whole life LOL I was looking at car ads in a big magazine and I found a V8 Monza for sale they're all original but a undesirable yellow and they were asking $14,000 for it. I kind of thought that was strange but the car was a v8 car. So I was thinking to myself this has the desirable black and gold colors plus it's fully loaded with the zo1 zo2 package would be nice to see if somebody could come up with a rough dollar amount what this thing's worth. The car is very clean like in the pictures I have removed the dash completely restored all the air ducting removed all the AC under the hood cleaned it reinstalled the car really needs no parts everything is there but you can't see in the picture is in a box out of the Sun even the door hinge pins are in great shape LOL and absolutely zero rest
77_Skyhawk

Postby cjbiagi » Sun May 05, 2019 1:53 pm

If you like having something different that is V8 powered and you have the dedication you can create a nice car that will grab peoples attention if it is done right. I purchased my 75 Monza brand new and have been doing car shows / cruises with it for the past 26 years. You have to realize this is not a catalog car, meaning none of the major restoration supply companies make much if anything for it. Parts can be had, but you have to know where to look. Otherwise the parts need to be restored, which is not a bad thing. I am attaching a few pics of my car for inspiration. While my car is modified, restoring one to stock still takes the same amount of work and dedication. I have been judging cars for about the last 20 years or so. The best part about doing that is developing a keen sense of what it really takes to build a car to show but I also loved having the ability and chance to inspire and help others make their cars better. My suggestion is make a plan, be realistic about your goals and abilities and just tackle one job at a time. Break your project into many small projects to avoid getting disillusioned or overwhelmed. Do one thing at a time, make it as perfect as you can and then move on.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 77_Skyhawk » Sun May 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks Clyde for the inspiration. Yes I own two of these bad boys LOL I also have the thread on the 77 Buick Skyhawk ProStreet. So I have one that is about as modified as you can get and I got a stock one. The Best of Both Worlds
77_Skyhawk

Postby 77_Skyhawk » Sun May 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Oh by the way Clyde I forgot to say you have got a very very nice Monza. I love the engine bay he did a good job. I would love to see it in person don't know off the top of my head where you're located but if you're ever in Fresno California I'll be your co-pilot

What do you have powering you're a little sweetie? Mine is a 350 4 bolt Main .30 over. It has TRW 100 cc pop-up Dome Pistons, full floater pins steel rods. 4130 steel crank all balanced of course. Erson solid roller cam don't know the exact specs but it has 600 lift exhaust and intake and 308 duration and 108 lobe separation. It's a pretty nasty cam Redline is 7500. Sitting on top of that I have the dart Pro 1 aluminum racing heads 7/16 studs 3/8 pushrods triple Springs titanium retainers Manley severe-duty valves. I'm sitting at 11 and 1/2 to 1 compression. And that's sitting on a Victor Jr intake and 1000 CFM Holley carburetor. 350 Turbo with a shift kit red Alto clutches 4000 stall converter. At the back end I'm running a 29 inch tall Tire with a 456 gear set up on a spool haven't run the car yet but everything that is on the car was set up by a computer program and the car should run anywhere from 9:20 to 9:50 with 150 shot nitrous squeeze on it. We shall see. The last time you took it down the track it had a neck snapping 1.3 60 foot time which is pretty cool and that was with the old engine. This one is 575 and then I built it for a 250 shot. The car weighs roughly 2,700 lb it's been on a major diet LOL
77_Skyhawk

Return to General Discussion