Aging Out

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Aging Out

Postby vegastre » Wed May 08, 2019 11:17 pm

generation X, Miliannials, Generation Z...

Reading the Mecum Auction monthly magazine they think "aging out" is more myth than anything. Wrong, it's not a myth and I'm not convinced because at car cruses I see a fair share of old guys lost in the good days of the past. Consider if you will, there are three times as many Miliannials as there were Baby Boomers during our time. It's there World now and they stand to inherit the largest transference of wealth in the history of the World. Something on the order of 170 trillion dollars and I don't think they will be buying Hot Rods. They will be buying the future based on what they grew up on. I have always thought that Nostalgia is over rated when it comes to auction cars, over priced by old Dudes bidding against each other with out a clue their time has about come to an end.

I could be wrong, I could be dead wrong and these kids might become rabid car collectors and they might even have a H-Body car or two in their car collection. Don't laugh it's called "The Future".
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Re: Aging Out

Postby cosvega76 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:41 am

I'm thinking you're right, Phil. Every time I see a '60s or '70s car go by anymore, it usually driven by some white-haired guy. I did see a '64 Dart convertible go by my house over the weekend - not pristine, but "experienced" - driven by 3 young women in their early 20s, I'd say. I do see younger guys driving Fox body Mustangs and '90s - early '00s Camaros and Firebirds, though.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby dindin » Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 am

It's not many kids these days that buy an older American car and "hop it up", I do see lots of jap tuner cars and modified diesel pickups though..

I think back in the 1970's some of the older crowd considered 60's and 70's cars as plastic junkers..Back then it was all steel sleds from the 40's and 50's..

As far as collectability goes, who knows what people will buy with the trillions.

The problem with collecting cars is they need to be driven and maintained, so when you buy a classic car its work just to keep it from wasting away..

As a side note, I took my wife one night to a Led zeppelin tribute concert, and she looked around and said,"look at all these old people in here" I laughed and said , that's what we look like.. :lol:

Al
dindin

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm

I would agree, I live in the collector car capital in my area of the world and it is all grey haired guys driving them. This might be somewhat due to the fact that most, (not mine), but most of the properties around this area are in the 7 digits, that puts the cost of owning a house here out of the reach of most of younger crowd. That said I have a 79 Square body (restored) and an 80 Monza that's going to be next on the restore list. Both my sons have signed up to get them when I croak. Both of them have also expressed interest in helping with the Monza restoration, one because he drove my old Monza for a couple of years when he was in school and the other one because he thinks the car is just cool. I do question both of there level of dedication to the resto, no matter how many times I say it will take years to i swear they hear days or weeks. Time will tell.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 pm

dindin wrote:"look at all these old people in here" I laughed and said , that's what we look like.. :lol:
Al

He says as he puts the pillow on the Couch! Ouch Al did you live through that?
I think all of he above ring pretty true to my experience, however I did meet at a nearby cruise night this week, a 33 year old "Kid" with his '66 GTO. His uncle had a '67 and he seen it when he was 5 and was bitten. Win one for us "Old Timers"
Turns out his uncle was the friend that drove my dads race car way back when. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Fri May 10, 2019 12:50 am

As a side note, I took my wife one night to a Led zeppelin tribute concert, and she looked around and said,"look at all these old people in here.

Well,
In this case I think you/we are the target audience they are playing and performing to. My wife and I went to a tribute Pink Floyd concert and it was tremendously entertaining. Ya, lots of baby Boomers for sure. If you look beyond the touches of gray were all still kids celebrating a unique time in music as well as life. Caveat here, I never saw Pink Floyd live back in the day.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Return to General Discussion