door lock assembly

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

door lock assembly

Postby 80firenza » Sat May 25, 2019 6:29 am

ive been searching around and cant seem to find a diagram of how the door lock assembly goes and what parts are required on my 80 firenza.ive found a linkage rod for sale but seems like theres more too it than just one rod coming through the arm rest.i was hoping i didnt have to tear the passenger door panel off to see how it works .any help would be appreciated
80firenza

Re: door lock assembly

Postby 80firenza » Tue May 28, 2019 6:31 pm

i seem to talk to myself alot on this site was hoping i could gain some knowledge about these h bodies. ive decided to engineer my own door linkage pivot for the locking mechanism ,maybe will be helpful to someone who stumbles on to this thread
80firenza

Postby Monza Harry » Tue May 28, 2019 7:25 pm

You aren't talking to yourself I have read this I just don't have Pic to help you. The lock button rod goes to the back of the door near the lock mechanism and a "Bell-crank" converts the front/back to an up/down motion then another rod is connected to the latch mech. this locks/unlocks the latch. I hope this helps you. I am sure there is a posting with a pic on here somewhere but IDK where. I'd try a straight up Google/Yahoo search it will check here. Good Luck Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 80firenza » Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Harry thank you for your input I’ve been searching high and low to no avail .one thing I did find is that I may be able to use a corvette door lock pivot mechanism . I built my own prototype if all else fails .
80firenza

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Tue May 28, 2019 11:58 pm

I read your post as well. I can't get to my cars right now. I do have a removed door with door panel removed but I think it's fully gutted with only the latch itself left installed but I can't recall for sure. I am on a business trip this week and can't go walk out into my shop and look for you till next week. I can do that next week, I just didn't reply as I might be of little help if the only part in the door is the latch with no linkage or locks.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Wed May 29, 2019 12:07 am

ok, I did some searching on my laptop and found a couple of pics of the doors I have off the car. From those pics it is clear there are no door locks in those doors but they do have the door latch, the inside release handle and the linkages that connect the inside release handle and the linkage for the inside lock rod. It does not have an outside door handle or door lock cylinder installed. These doors are for the hatchback car using the lock rod that has the knob located inside the arm rest and not the style that has the lock knob up by the bottom of the side window (usually used on the coupes but I do have two hatchback cars one with each type but I think the one with the lock rod up by the window was converted to that style at some point before I owned the car). I don't have a pic looking directly where all the linkages converge at the latch assembly. If a picture of that would help you I can dig out one of the doors from my storage next week and get you some pictures of that.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 80firenza » Wed May 29, 2019 7:04 pm

I have this issue resolved . I built my own linkage rod pivot and mounted in the location of the missing one . Needed a vertical linkage rod to go from my pivot up the the mounting hole on the lock mechanism and another horizontal linkage rod that runs from my pivot out through arm rest hole . The horizontal rod required several strategic bends so it would move back and forth freely .thanks again for the help , now onto the door spring .i gotta say this door should have went on the junk heap:)
80firenza

Return to General Discussion