Crashed Vega

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Crashed Vega

Postby rjones35 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi, first post.....long story short, I'm trying to buy back a Vega I had years ago. I tubbed it and made it a prostreet car, then sold it. It was turned into a race car, and at some point a few years back it was crashed.

I tried searching but didn't come up with much, has anyone repaired a crashed Vega? Specifically, front end crash. Wondering how big of a deal it actually is.
rjones35

Re: Crashed Vega

Postby rjones35 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:06 am

Here's a picture of the crashed part.

rjones35

Postby Smiley » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Probably better off starting with another car.
Maybe use the back half parts in a good shell.
What does the rest of the car look like ?
Smiley

Postby rjones35 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Smiley wrote:Probably better off starting with another car.

The rest is pretty good. I don't have any good pics, but it'll need rewiring and seats added on the inside. Then besides the obvious body stuff outside, I would want to replace the fiberglass hatch with a steel one. Haven't seen underneath, but I'm under the impression it's in good shape.
rjones35

Postby classic_cruiser » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:59 am

Ultimately anything is repairable, it just depends how much money you are willing to spend...
If you have a parts car to fix this one, you'll likely be ok if you have weld skills or someone you know does. Body parts for these are getting harder to find. If you have to fab replacement parts, then you're going to be in it for some serious cash. Looks like that crash tweaked the firewall, window channel, rocker, door, and wheel well at least - not going to be cheap!
Check the a-arms and attaching points too.
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby rjones35 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:15 am

classic_cruiser wrote:Ultimately anything is repairable, it just depends how much money you are willing to spend...
If you have a parts car to fix this one, you'll likely be ok if you have weld skills or someone you know does. Body parts for these are getting harder to find. If you have to fab replacement parts, then you're going to be in it for some serious cash. Looks like that crash tweaked the firewall, window channel, rocker, door, and wheel well at least - not going to be cheap!

I am going to get (if the whole deal works out) the front end parts off of a wagon from the guy that has the car now. But yeah it did get into the window channel and firewall. I was hoping to find a frame shop that would be able to pull it out to at least get that part back in shape. I do have a couple friends with the welding skills to replace things, since I dont.....

Thanks for the response!!
rjones35

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:39 am

rjones35 wrote:
classic_cruiser wrote:Ultimately anything is repairable, it just depends how much money you are willing to spend...

I am going to get (if the whole deal works out) the front end parts off of a wagon from the guy that has the car now. But yeah it did get into the window channel and firewall. I was hoping to find a frame shop that would be able to pull it out to at least get that part back in shape. I do have a couple friends with the welding skills to replace things, since I dont.....

Thanks for the response!!

Your fiends are going to eat and drink you out of house and home
you know the beer, Pizza, and steaks are going to cost $$$$, then there is the transport of the welder to the car or car to the welder, maybe buy a welder and have friends help teach you and have them do the more important welds(?). just some things to consider. You may be better to take the whole front clip from that wagon [Smiley is the wagon windshield (and surrounding steel) the same as the Notch or HB? I can never remember that!] It might be easier to swap out the whole front clip than repair the existing, you have to determine if the donor is sound enough and matches up properly (years involved body style etc.). and your collective group of volunteers skill sets, neither of the approaches will be trivial. Harry
Edit: I went back and reviewed the original Pic's I'd bet that whole body is twisted the windshield surround looks kinked in the center! That will carry some distance back, I would go with Smileys first response:
Smiley wrote:Probably better off starting with another car.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rjones35 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:20 am

Yeah I was wondering about the whole thing being twisted or tweaked a little. I'm going on the assumption that the cage and rest of the added frame would have prevented it, but it took a hard hit, so maybe not. My thought was that worst case is I take the rear parts for another car and trash the rest of it, or part it out altogether. Probably would be a good time to learn to weld!!
rjones35

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:37 am

Harry, the wagon windshield area is the same as the notchback, the hatchback is different.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Well that kills the donor clip from his wagon. :( :( :(
hammerdown7 wrote:Harry, the wagon windshield area is the same as the notchback, the hatchback is different.
Dick
Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rjones35 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Monza Harry wrote:Well that kills the donor clip from his wagon. :( :( :(
hammerdown7 wrote:Harry, the wagon windshield area is the same as the notchback, the hatchback is different.
Dick
Harry

I picked it up last night. Just got the fenders, upper valance, and core support from the wagon. Plus the suspension stuff, if I want to go take the engine and trans out. Which I might do, we'll see how things work out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjones35

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:42 am

rjones35 wrote:
Monza Harry wrote:Well that kills the donor clip from his wagon. :( :( :(
Dick
Harry

I picked it up last night. Just got the fenders, upper valance, and core support from the wagon. Plus the suspension stuff, if I want to go take the engine and trans out. Which I might do, we'll see how things work out.

I should have worded that differently, I meant windshield AND forward, [ie; cut roof and floor section but there are differences unfortunately], yeah fenders and grill are a good score and are getting scarce(r), they look pretty good in your pic'. Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rjones35 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:05 pm

I never did post up a pic of the other side of the car. I just stuck a fender on to see how it would look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjones35

Postby rjones35 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:41 am

Been a while, so I thought I would add a little follow up. Been gathering parts and doing a little here and a little there on the car. Got the front frame stub pulled out. Seems like its usable, needs little TLC, but not terrible. I'm going to cut out the right half of the firewall and replace it. Need to add a tunnel back in it and I've got another inner fender for the passenger side. Then build some sort of core support and figure out how to mount headlights. After all that, the rest will be easy peasy!!
rjones35

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:03 pm

Where are you located? If you are in Fla, I have the front window channel and door frame hinge mound area that I would be willing to part with.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Next

Return to General Discussion