i hate ball joints

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

i hate ball joints

Postby mldeolde » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:46 pm

any one have as much trouble as I do with ball joints??? I have a full assortment of pickle forks and even one of thos cheepy chineese screw type ball joint separators . yet with all these tools I am having a hell of a time separating the ball joints on the center link of the monza . the center link as you guys know has to be changed out when converting from manual to power steering and there is a plethora of ball joints involved in this and I have yet to get one done. am I just an idiot when it comes to these or do they fight any of you as they do me??? :bang: :bang: :bang: :censored:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Re: i hate ball joints

Postby cammerjeff » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:49 pm

They can be a real PITA!!!!! But I have had the best luck loosening the Nut but keeping it on the last few threads, Then hitting both sides of the Spindle with large Ball Peen Hammers at the same time. It usually takes more than a couple of hits, and every once in awhile some heat. But it has worked for me 99% of the time.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:27 pm

Squirt some Kroil on the shaft. Let it sit for 30 minutes.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Smiley » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:29 am

Air chisel pickle forks work for me.
Smiley

Postby vegastre » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:03 am

BFH

I have been using Jeff's method for years. The trick is use a large hammer with some weight. I use a large steel hammer that I made for this exact job. The second trick is not to be afraid to power into the end of the spindle. I take the nut off and give it a couple of good wacks and presto off it drops.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Ya, I use a 2 1/2 lb mini sledge with about a 10" handle and don't be faint of heart. Usually one or two good whacks and it pops apart. Been doing that since my dad showed me that 30 years ago. Of course the first time I did it I couldn't get it to work, I was just tapping it and my dad came along and said, "no LIKE THIS!!", and two good whacks and it came apart and then I realized I just had to put a little more behind it.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Diesel Dan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:51 am

79MonzaSpyder wrote:Of course the first time I did it I couldn't get it to work, I was just tapping it and my dad came along and said, "no LIKE THIS!!",

Yup, 30 yrs ago I stopped by some buddies working on a CJ5 trying to replace the tie rod. They took the nut off and were pounding straight down on the stud and had it all mushroomed over. I hit the side of the knuckle twice and it popped off.

There response was "where were you an hour ago! :cuss: "
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby mldeolde » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:33 pm

from the replies I ve gotten I feel I must be describing the area all wrong for you guys. it is nothing to do with the spindles or ball joints there. it is the actual center link and the little joints to the tie rod ends on eighther side and the one that connects to the frame rail on the passenger side and to the steering box arm on the drivers side. much smaller joints. :? :rolleyes: :?:
mldeolde

Postby mldeolde » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:42 pm

PS: its so cold here today its hard to get to working over at my storage until noon seeing as its only going to be 70 degrees today. :lol: :lol: :lol: one of the few things I can tolerate here in southern California now days. they said it might snow in the mountians about 30 minuets away yesterday and now it is 70 degrees today.
mldeolde

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:22 pm

mldeolde wrote:from the replies I ve gotten I feel I must be describing the area all wrong for you guys. it is nothing to do with the spindles or ball joints there. it is the actual center link and the little joints to the tie rod ends on eighther side and the one that connects to the frame rail on the passenger side and to the steering box arm on the drivers side. much smaller joints. :? :rolleyes: :?:

No they are describing the right fix to the tie rod ends, center link, idler, and pitman arm. These can give you grief if they are super worn or old. I had an old Safari van that I couldn't get the tie rod end free on, I had bought the air hammer fork as there was no room to swing on the end I had to replace [AWD as well] I had to wait for my brother to get home and he hit the fork and I laid underneath with the 4# Sledge, still put up a good fight.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:36 am

No they are describing the right fix to the tie rod ends

Thank you Harry...
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby mldeolde » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:44 pm

finally got them mostly done. talk about over kill had to buy a new 4 lb sledge hammer to do it. such a big hammer to break loose such small ball joints. :dance: :dance: :dance: what is that old saying??? if it wont work get a bigger hammer. in this case sooooo tru !!!
mldeolde

Return to General Discussion