Front Springs

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Front Springs

Postby vegastre » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:10 am

Astre Wagon SJ 3800 Supercharged.

When I take the car out for a spin a number of issues keep Raising their ugly head, namely, with the addition of the lighter motor swap and 5 speed the front end is noticeably very bouncy with a nose high attitude compared to before which was more less level with a smooth ride with the V6 AC springs. So, at this point I will re-install the original deep pocket 4-cylinder springs and see where I'm at on the front end then try the standard V6 deep pocket springs. Problem is I Presently have numerous sets of springs 4cyl to V8. My question is does anyone know how to identify what is what? They all sit at about the same height and approximately the same number of coils. I could use some info because as you well know getting H-Body front springs in and out is a huge pain.

Has anyone tried this method ?
Brian (Bacchus_101573) writes about installing front springs:
"Using a 3 foot section of 5/8" threaded rod and some Gr8 nuts and washer, I passed the rod through the upper shock mount, through the spring, through the lower control arm, and through a piece of 1/4" steel that I had lying around. The steel is about 6"x6", enough to fully support the lower A-arm. 5/8" is almost exactly the size of the upper shock mount hole, so it fit very well.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Re: Front Springs

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:56 pm

Phil there is a thread somewhere that lists the coils with number of turns free length and coil wire diameter, either listed or linked, I just can't remember and I wasn't smart enough to print that out :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: I'll take a look sometime soon to see if I can find it. Harry Let us know if this helps you out, and no I haven't printed this or saved it either. Just can't learn an old dog no new tricks! :lol:

megavega wrote:5576 V8 Monza w/AC: 384.5 lb/in, 1814 lbs
5622 V6 Monza no AC: 308.0 lb/in, 1555 lbs
5624 V6 Monza w/AC: 309.0 lb/in, 1640 lbs
5626 V8 Monza no AC: 309.0 lb/in, 1730 lbs
6488 75-77 Vega no AC: 330.1 lb/in, 1359 lbs
6490 76-77 Monza 4&6cyl: 317.9 lb/in, 1465 lbs

I would say you either got the wrong springs(boxed wrong) or they are of cheap quality and not the correct rate, if they wont hold your car up. My guess is they come out to the 6490 springs which show for 4/6 cyl and is only a 1465lbs rate. The v6 with a/c spring-1640lbs. is more then enough spring to hold up a iron headed v8. Thats all I use in my big block cars, zero issues with that spring, mine have always been moog's.
With the earlier cars(vega) the spring pocket is not as deep in the lower control arm so youll need to trim off a slight bit or the spring will be coil binded some on the top and bottom of the spring due to it being about 2 inchs taller, this applys to the early vegas from 71-75 I believe. I will usually take about 1 full coil off (for a early vega)and try it then if you want more drop you can take off another .5 half coil for a total of 1.5 coils removed.

I have used the v8 with no a/c and v8 with a/c springs and it rides like a 4x4 truck, and it makes me think its going to break the balljoints its so stiff, wasnt for me at all nor the customer who I installed them for on his v8 conversion. We again used the v6 springs, all was well.

From Here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=39200 further down "Mega" has another list with the numbers I mentioned.

Edit: I see Smiley added the list I mentioned in the other thread
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Front Springs

Postby Wizeguyrc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Yes, I used the same method for installing my springs. Since it was going to be a permanent tool, I had the plate laser cut. Weld a nut to the bottom of the plate so your all thread can easily screw into it. Place a piece of 3/16” rubber on top of the plate and it will not spin after you get a small amount of pressure on it.
Weld a nut to the top of the all thread. This way you can use an impact and slowly bump up the spring.
It worked like a charm.
Also, I happened to have the correct size Torrington bearing that I sandwiched between two washers and added a rubber washer under that. It rolled very easy and didn’t put a scratch on the car.
Wizeguyrc

Return to General Discussion