'78 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

'78 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby 1saxman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Bought (ordered) this in '78 and drove it until '89 - never saw another one just like it; bright red, black trim and tan interior. Buick 3.8L V6, 4-spd, Limited Slip, Air, PS, PB, aluminum wheels. I was coming out of a Trans Am 400 4-spd so I have to admit the Sunbird wasn't much in comparison but it did the job for 11 years and 150,000 miles. I'm looking for a better picture but this will have to do for now. Just thinking, if I had that now, there would definitely be a turbo involved!

Last edited by 1saxman on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1saxman

Re: '78 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby Kenova » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:50 pm

Looks good. :th:

That is quite the variety of cars in the picture. I'm seeing a Mopar, a Ford, a couple of Toyotas or Datsuns, and is that a Honda in front of your car?
I love old pictures like this one. Jogs the old memory.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Re: '78 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby 1saxman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:27 pm

Yeah, I think it probably was Christmas at the in-laws, about 1980. I'll have to work on the picture and re-post - something went awry in the process and cropped out part of the car. All my wife's relatives drove junkers. In fact when I met her in '75 she had a '69 Dodge Polara - a 2-door. Now that's a full-sized car with a trunk about 8' long. It was a 383 auto and it had a dead miss. I knew a few things about Mopars since I had worked for years with a Mopar fanatic. So, I went directly to the long plug wire with the coupling in it that goes to the right rear plug and pulled it - the miss didn't change. I put a set of wires on it and it never missed again.
1saxman

Return to General Discussion