making a subframe connector

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

making a subframe connector

Postby chevyart » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:06 pm

a friend of mine has had Vegas for over 30 years and he tells me you can make subframe connectors by slipping in 2x3 rectangular steel into the rocker panels by making an opening from under the car at the rear of the rodker , the whole length of the rocker and then rosette weld it under the sill plate and probably on the inside of the rocker by drilling hole the the body under the car and rosette welding. im pretty sure it was 2 by 3 and he said it slips right in fairly tight. i know on some of the foreign cars the guys pump a type of foam in the rockers and it hardens and this stiffens up the frame(or body) but they also say this retains moisture inside the rocker and could cause it to rust. any ideas or info about this technique to make subframe connectors
chevyart

Re: making a subframe connector

Postby NVEGAR8D » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:03 pm

Hi Chevyart, I made my frame connectors to go inside the rockers when i remade the rear end boxes. You probably could run 1x2 or 2x3 tubing down the rockers and drill some holes in the sides of the rockers but there are a lot of undulations in and out in the rockers. I had also welded pads to take up the spaces. I have pictures in my garage photos. At the same time i had also removed the outer parts of the rockers to be replaced which i found easier for mine. I was able to add much more welding inside there. Hope it helps some
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Hatche_98 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:24 am

A guy named Justin from Overkill makes tubular subframe connectors.
Hatche_98

Postby RobR » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:47 am

Hatche_98 wrote:A guy named Justin from Overkill makes tubular subframe connectors.
I have his SFC but haven't installed them yet. All his stuff is top notch!
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Return to General Discussion