Spoilers

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Spoilers

Postby taguy4 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:51 pm

I'm looking to get front and rear spoilers for my 1977 Vega hatchback and am looking at the ones offered by Showcars. They offer a "narrow" rear spoiler and a spoiler that looks like it hangs over the the back of the hatch a little. For front spoiler options they offer a "3 piece" spoiler and an "Astre style" spoiler. Most of the Vegas I've seen on here that have rear spoilers have the wraparound style, which is the one I'm leaning toward, although it would be nice to see some detailed pictures of a car with the "narrow" rear spoiler for comparison. It looks like the Formula Astre got the wraparound style spoiler stock: did any Vegas that were built get a spoiler like this installed at the factory?

As far as front spoilers go I'm a bit confused. Could someone please provide detailed pictures of the "3 piece" spoiler on a Vega because it's hard to make out what it looks like from the picture on the Showcars site? They show the "Astre style" as being the one used on the Formula Astre. How did both of these front spoilers mount and do you still use a front lower valance when using either one of these front spoilers or did they take the place of the valance? My front lower valance is trashed so it would be nice if one of these spoilers took its place so I don't have to buy another valance.

Thanks for any help with this.
taguy4

Re: Spoilers

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:52 pm

Beware of showcars, expect to do a lot of fitting. They don't have a great reputation.
Last edited by cjbiagi on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby NVEGAR8D » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:05 pm

Hi, I second that as i got burned dealing with him.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Smiley » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:28 pm

Look up Chris Wheaton Vegamods on facebook,
he makes top notch spoilers and valances for Vega’s.
Stay away from Showcars.
Smiley

Postby taguy4 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:56 am

Okay. Thanks for the heads up. I sent him a message about what parts I'm after. His facebook doesn't seem very well organized. From the pictures on there it looks like you still need a front lower valance if you use a front spoiler.
taguy4

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:51 am

Smiley wrote:Look up Chris Wheaton Vegamods on facebook,
he makes top notch spoilers and valances for Vega’s.
Stay away from Showcars.

~ I agree, Chris's front chin spoiler looks and fits great. As far as a rear spoiler goes, we will be using one from an older Toyota Camry. (can't remember the year)..It droops over the sides and extends almost even with the rear bumper. Not quite a "whale tail" but similar to the Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 look. There is an image of it in my project build.
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Postby taguy4 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:58 pm

So far no response from Vegamods to my parts request. At least Showcars has a website, sells on eBay, and you can call them up on the phone. They might not have the best parts in the world, but at least you can access them easily.
taguy4

Postby Smiley » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:37 pm

Chris Wheaton makes the best parts for The Vega.
He only makes Vega stuff, spoilers and valances.
It is not his primary full time job so be patient.
Lots of other places are better than Showcars, they have screwed many of the members here.
Smiley

Postby taguy4 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:10 am

I wish he had a better way to communicate such as a phone or email. I hate trying to communicate on the facebook messenger.

I can' find any other companies besides those two that do rear Vega spoilers. The other companies I found on a web search selling Vega body parts just sell drag racing fiberglass parts. Are their any other companies doing Vega spoilers?
taguy4

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:44 am

Taguy4 do a search of Showcars [use his full company name] and read. I'll say you have been warned! Long long waits for less than stellar parts if you get them at all! Google an Yahoo are your friends, Chris has been a member and a regular contributor here for longer than I have, and I have been here for quite some time, every review of his parts and practices have been very favourable. I have exchanged quite a few PM's with him about his process and found him to be very straight forward, easy going, I can't say the same for Showcars Bob, I have done business with Bob and I seriously doubt I would ever do it again! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Kahoutek1973 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:24 pm

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a rear spoiler for a 71 hatch. I have looked all over and have been in contact with Vegamods but he isn't producing them right now and doesn't know when he will. Also don't want to order from the other fiberglass places that don't produce a good product. My painter is retiring and I would like to get the car finished before he does. Does anyone have a spoiler? I will travel or pay extra shipping if need be. Thanks
Kahoutek1973

Return to General Discussion