Front torque arm location

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Front torque arm location

Postby sz3gfj » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:03 pm

I am re-powering a 1977 Chevy Monza and need to build a front mount for the torque arm. The torque arm I'm using has the round bushing and is from a V8 Monza. Can someone tell me the torque arm angle when installed or the distance form the center of the busing to the floor pan? If someone has a picture or diagram, that would help. Thanks in advance.
sz3gfj

Re: Front torque arm location

Postby cammerjeff » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:32 pm

I can't help with an exact measurement, but the round bushing style torque are mounted to a bracket attached to the tail shaft housing of transmission.

When changing transmissions (200R4 in place of the original TH350) I fabed up a mount to the new transmission cross member. And I just measured from the mounting point off the stock TH350. But I suspect you don't have that option. I may still have one of the 3 hole mounting brackets if you think you can use it. Not sure though.

Also I do have a Mount and torque arm I stripped off a junkyard car years ago, it had a 7004R mounted in it. It made out of L channel and doesn't look as nice as the bent roll cage tube I fabbed for my old sunbird wagon's 2004R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby rocki » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:57 am

Jeff -
This is sz3gfj logged into my other account. You're right - I don't have anything in the car I can reference to. On the second picture you attached (which is probably not to scale) it appears that the round busing is located below the trans output shaft / U-joint centerline. If I knew the vertical distance from the mount center to the output shaft/ U-joint center, I could use this dimension to locate the mount. Is this dimension something you could measure on your wagon and pass on to me? Thanks, Rocki
rocki

Postby olds70supreme » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:49 pm

This is a timely post. I swapped a T5 transmission into my Starfire, and now would like to redo how the front of the torque arm mounts. I had fabbed a bracket to attach it to the tailshaft, but would like to change it to a crossmember-mount instead. If anybody had pictures of how they did this (regardless of transmission) it would be great just to give me some ideas before I reinvent the wheel.
Thanks.
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Postby Driver75 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:30 pm

I have just removed the mount from my 77. Will be installing a T5 from a Camaro, so needed to know what the relative height of the mount is. I measured the pivot bolt to be on the centreline of the output shaft of the trans. The pivot bolt also has some fore/aft adjustment.
Driver75

Return to General Discussion