Anybody out there using Cut-Outs on their exhaust?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Anybody out there using Cut-Outs on their exhaust?

Postby jdmrh07 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:57 am

I'm getting some nice laker pipes on my monza, and was thinking about doing cut-outs as well. Some people were telling me that they are a bad idea, but I forget their reasoning----- I don't see any damage running open headers, besides what it will do to your ears! (and losing back pressure)

I was looking at the ones that Mr Gasket makes on Jegs; They got that cable you pull, and there ya go! Was wondering if anyone has used them before, and if so; is there anything special I should know about them?

Up till now, this was the kind of stuff I'de I had wanted to learn about earlier in life, all this hot rodding stuff ------ but I never had the car to go with it, so please bare with me!

thanks
- Jonny Monza -

"Ya know... I've never really seen anything wrong with Bell Bottoms..."

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Postby mldeolde » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:41 am

unless you jet your carb for it open headers and cut outs will have a tendency to make your engine run lean and that can be harmful. if you're over carbed and overcamed as many of us are it probably won't create any problems for you.
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby heinz057 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:34 am

stay away from the mr gaskets they don't seal very well
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby v8astregt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:39 pm

Those cast iron looking cable operated cutouts looks small, and don't look like they'd seal.

I've got a pair of the Flowtechs on mine. I don't know how often I'll use them, but two things. 1) They are about 6" in from the rockers, and hang down a little so they look cool as hell! 2) It sounds wicked when I uncork them! I'll probably use them at the dragstrip though. I just put them on since I had them.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby jdmrh07 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:13 pm

mldeolde wrote:unless you jet your carb for it open headers and cut outs will have a tendency to make your engine run lean and that can be harmful. if you're over carbed and overcamed as many of us are it probably won't create any problems for you.

I think I'll be good to go; I got a Holley 750 and a pretty evil Cam, and she runs a little rich right now --- but then I just got a nice K&N air filter so I'm not running as rich as I was --- but still, I think that engine can handle it--- It definately isnt a stock 350!!!

(mldeolde I love your IMSA!)
- Jonny Monza -

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Postby jdmrh07 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:17 pm

Ok, so no go on the Mr. Gaskets--- I'll probably just get the ones made by Jegs--- Then later on if I can afford it, I'll by those $300 electric cutout tips that you just bolt on and flick a switch!
- Jonny Monza -

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

cut outs

Postby pobrien327 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:05 pm

I got the "quick time performance" electric controlled. I just love them. I have 2 1/2" Walker Sonic Turbo mufflers so it is pretty quiet with them closed... Then I can open them a bit for a nice tone- or full open for a real blast..... and then close them again.

They are expensive (300/pair) but if you like quiet, nice tone, loud, really loud.. at the push of a button.. I'd recommend them

Pat
pobrien327

Postby starfire383 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Nooooo, not lake pipes! Leave those for the leadsleds. You're not putting fender skirts and scallops on it too are you? Gawd I hope not.

Cutouts, unless you're gonna spend on the electrics, don't bother. They're a fave of the late model F body crowd, alot of guys buy one 3" cutout instead of a catback. They've proven suprisingly reliable. All the cable operated do is stick and leak.

Just get those sweet 4" sidepipes you want (although I'd do flat black instead of chrome). It'll be so loud that you'll never consider cutouts.

Good Luck!
starfire383

Postby jdmrh07 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:58 am

starfire383 wrote:Nooooo, not lake pipes! Leave those for the leadsleds. You're not putting fender skirts and scallops on it too are you? Gawd I hope not.

Cutouts, unless you're gonna spend on the electrics, don't bother. They're a fave of the late model F body crowd, alot of guys buy one 3" cutout instead of a catback. They've proven suprisingly reliable. All the cable operated do is stick and leak.

Just get those sweet 4" sidepipes you want (although I'd do flat black instead of chrome). It'll be so loud that you'll never consider cutouts.

Good Luck!

Fender skirts? scallops? hmmm... interesting...

Let me see, where's my plasma cutter? :idea:

Yeah those side pipes are gonna rock; I don't think they're gonna be that loud with those inserts in them (my van has them and its not that bad); then again I may be suprised ---- since the monza's V8 is built pretty evil.

thanks
- Jonny Monza -

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Re: cut outs

Postby jdmrh07 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:07 am

pobrien327 wrote:I got the "quick time performance" electric controlled. I just love them. They are expensive (300/pair) but if you like quiet, nice tone, loud, really loud.. at the push of a button.. I'd recommend them

Pat

Sounds like a winner; How long have you had them for? and what kind of cutouts are you running? stainless?

thanks Pat
- Jonny Monza -

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Postby starfire383 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:41 pm

Ahhh terminology conflict here. FYI......

Lake pipes are those tiny sidepipes with one or more bolt on caps like the "kustoms" run.

The corvette/cobra style sidepipes you're talking about in the other thread are not lake pipes, they're just sidepipes.

Power = noise so if you're not sure if it'll be too loud, may want to run it before spending on a pair of electric cutouts. I would have a hard time imagining it won't be insanely loud.
starfire383

Postby jdmrh07 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:37 am

starfire383 wrote:Ahhh terminology conflict here. FYI......

Lake pipes are those tiny sidepipes with one or more bolt on caps like the "kustoms" run.

The corvette/cobra style sidepipes you're talking about in the other thread are not lake pipes, they're just sidepipes.

Power = noise so if you're not sure if it'll be too loud, may want to run it before spending on a pair of electric cutouts. I would have a hard time imagining it won't be insanely loud.

Yup, you're right; I don't know why I mixed them up before; I think all the confusion comes from this:

Lake Pipes are always Side Pipes; but Side Pipes are not always Lake Pipes.

But, yeah I don't plan on buying the electric cutouts till later, so I'll see how they sound for a while; I'm sure They'll be plenty loud - but not as loud as open headers!

peace
- Jonny Monza -

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

cutouts

Postby pobrien327 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:40 pm