I may be back....... Harley is selling tomorrow

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

welders and h-bodys

Postby mldeolde » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:57 pm

I AGREE WITH PETERPAN. WHEN WORKING ON THESE OLD H-BODYS IT'S REALLY HANDY TO HAVE A DECENT WELDER AND A FEW WELDING SKILLS. CAN REALLY MAKE LIFE EASIER. MY BROTHER "little" IS A RETIRED PROFESSIONAL WELDER AND BECAUSE OF THAT HE CONVINCED TO PUCHASE A MILLERMATIC 175. IT IS A BIT OVER KILL AND THESE ARE KINDA PRICEY BEING KINDA THE THE CADALLAC OF WELDERS BUT HE GUARENTEED ME THAT IT WOULD BE ALL I'D EVER NEED. ONLY PROBLEM IS I TAKES A BIGGER MORE POWERFULL 230 VOLT CAPABLE GENERATOR SO I ,BEING CHEAP, HAVE BEEN SHOPING FOR 6 MONTHS TO FIND ONE. FINALLY SATURDAY I GET TO PICK IT UP AND I'LL BE BACK IN BUSINESS. MORE FRAME ,EXHAUST,MOTOR MOUNT REINFORCEMENT, THE LIST GOES ON AND ON THE MANY USES FOR A GOOD WELDER ON THESE CARS. :D
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:01 pm

I also have a Millermatic wire feed welder. Mine must be a little smaller than yours since it runs on 115volts, but it is more than adequate for anything I would do. It was pricey, but it's the only one I'll ever need.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

welders gotta have one

Postby mldeolde » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:18 pm

CLYDE: I BET YOU HAVE A MILLERMATIC 135. IT'S THE 115 VOLT VERSION OF WHAT I HAVE. IT FIGURES YOU WOULD HAVE A MILLER. NOTHING AGAINST THE OTHER BRANDS BUT THEY ARE WHAT ALL THE PROS THAT I KNOW USE. GRANTED THEY ARE USEING THE BIG COMERCIAL UNITS. I WOULD ALSO GUESS YOU PROBABLY USE NOTHING BUT SNAP-ON TOOLS TOO. USUALLY METICULUS PEOPLE BUY HIGH END STUFF AND YOU DEFINATLY QUALIFY AS METICULUS :wink:
mldeolde

Postby bugdewde » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:56 pm

OK........ JUST MY LUCK!!!!! Yep, I'm back only after a few hours. I loaded up the dogs in the '62 Bug for the normal 1-1.5 hour drive to Pigeon Forge for the Grand Fall Rod Run. Hundreds of classic muscle cars and rods ..... a great show.
Crawling bumper to bumper traffic for 10-15 miles trying to get into town, I decided to go a back way to try and save the clutch leg.

I get all the way to Maryville, more than 1/2 way, and the clutch starts slipping while going up a grade in 3rd gear. This part of the country is very mountainous and a blast to drive on....... So, not wanting to chance burning it up while going up the mountains, much less in the crawling bumper to bumper traffic that is miles, and miles long....... I did a U-turn and came home. I'll take the Jeep tomorrow.

Now I gotta pull the Bug's engine(again), to put a new clutch kit in. ....... Just my luck.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:59 pm

Yep, you are correct, I do have the Millermatic 135. I also run it with Argon/Co2 gas (I think that's what it is) for cleaner welds than the flux core wire. I don't do a lot of welding and I am not that great at it, but I never had a weld break.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby geartwister39 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:29 pm

dwight i almost went to the rod run ..but unfortunately right now cash flow is a problem along with time ...i sure would have liked to go .as it is my neihbor is hen pecking me to go in the morning with him .but like i said . but last week end i heard that there was like 3 or 4 h bodys running around up there .i missed them again arrrrgg one day ill get to go . hope full see you there lol
larry s
78 monza wagon 355/th350
geartwister39

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby bugdewde » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:41 pm

Heading out this afternoon. Probably stay until 9 or 10 tonight. Probably miss all the night-time, cruisin' fun. I'll be the guy in the Jeep Unlimited Rubicon with Big Jake(100 lbs), Andy (65 lbs) and Blue(gal-pal's wiener/cocker mix)--- that just sounds bad, don't it?. I'm sure we'll be easy to spot amonst the thousands of people there.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby peterpan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:28 pm

i have a 06 wrangler x that is the same color as your jeep
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby bugdewde » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:20 pm

What's that white stuff all over the ground????? Ha

That Patriot Blue is purrty, ain't it?

I'm a HUGE fan of the new Jeep TJ. After owning a '76 CJ-5 for a few years, I bought a brand new TJ Sport in '98........just sold it to a neighbor in June. Loved it, so much, I bought this Rubi 8 years later.

Ride is great due to the coil springs(although the Rubi's tires are E-rated sidewalls and quite harsh riding)
The ventilation system is AWESOME!
The hand E-brake is great on hills
The ease of top up/down operation
4.0 fuel injected I6 is great for what it's used for
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby bugdewde » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:26 pm

OH......... I forgot to mention.

I saw 3 H-bodies tonight. A AWESOME black pro-street early Vega, another pro-street late model Vega, and a nice street Monza. Only made one pass, so I only got to see less than 1/2 of the cars lining the streets. Wish I could have stopped to get pics but I had my 78 year old Mom and her Yorkie/Chihuaha mix along with the other 3 dogs........ and she was wanting to get home. We put 200 miles on today with the top down and she got a bit tired by the time we made it to Pigeon Forge.
Had a nice picnic up in the mountains with my Mom this afternoon :D
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby mldeolde » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:42 pm

NOW THAT'S A FAMILY FRIENDLY POST!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like a great time in Dolly Parton country.
mldeolde

Thanks Ray

Postby Monza Madness » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:23 pm

Hey Ray, thanks for the advice, self tought my self, some days I'm great, other days, you'd swear it is my first time, but I think you hit it on the head when you talk about the "clicker welder" I have a tip brand welder with dual rocker switches for voltages (4 to choose from), no ability to fine tune. I went in on a 50/50 deal with my stepdad on the welder when I was a kid he picked it out. Also I think my 120Vac feed in the garage varies enough from day to day, that what worked one day, won't work the next. As for clean surfaces I know that it has to be clean. As for gas pressure, I may be running a little low.
Wow you pay a lot for argosheild, I did too when I got it from AGA at $30 bucks a pop now I go to a place called Praxair $10 for a fill :D but I think the company is local only not possitive on that. Would you happen to have the wiring diagram for your welder? I'm thinking I might be able to get a dial voltage control, and replace my rocker switches, since I work in an electric systems controls shop I think I could pull it off. The sad thing is we put chart recorders together for Miller Electric (just across town) for there pipe welding systems, and don't own one of there welders. :?
Roger
79 IMSA TPI 350 A/C 700R4
79 Spyder 305 A/C 200r4
Monza Madness

1979 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby peterpan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:08 am

that was starfire383 that said that about the clicker knobs but i do agree with him on it

as for wiring diagram i don't know i can rewire a complete car dc current but when it comes to ac current i'm lost it might be worth a try but if you break down and by a good welder you won't regret it its hard to let loose of the money but it will make life alot easier when welding

i go threw great western air gas for my refills on my bottle they were the only ones around here that would sell the bottle to me outright every where else wanted to lease me a bottle where i had to pay out the rear every 5 years to renew the lease

some days great some days bad there are alot more great days with a good welder sorry to be pushing good welders so much but i belive the better equipment you have the better results you get
by the way most of my tools are craftsmen snapon is just way over priced for me :lol:
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Previous

Return to General Discussion