Let's get some input here.. this is your forum

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Let's get some input here.. this is your forum

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:45 am

Hey guys (and girls),
I'd like some input from you all before I continue modifying the board any further. We need to iron out some layout details first..

If you would all try out each of the templates I have installed. The styles differ only slightly but if we can decide on 1-2 (maybe 3) favorites I'll modify those to suit the site's modifications. Since a few of the mods are rather time-intensive to install I'd rather only do a couple right now.

To choose a template go to your User Profile (http://www.gmperformance.org/hbody3/pro ... ditprofile) and choose each of the templates in the template pulldown box. You'll need to refresh the site after choosing a new template for you to get the full effect.

As well, let's decide on some modifications that you all will use.
To start off with I'd like to install:
- a quick reply box on the bottom of each thread so you don't have to load a new page when replying.
- a file attachment feature so that you can literally browse for an image on your hard drive and upload it to the server for display in your topic/reply.
- the garage mod on all templates.
- a feedback rating system so that users can rate other users after transactions
- a classifieds system to replace the buy/sell/wanted forums.
- image galleries that are separate from posted images and garage images
- a bookmarks section

As well, if you all want to tell me what forums you'd like to see let me know. We can carbon-copy the V8Monza forums if you'd like (preferable) or you can all vote on which you'd like to use.

Let me know guys, this is your site..
Colin
Last edited by ColinOpseth on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby SunbirdMan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:30 am

I say drop any association with v8monza.com. A link to it is fine but that banner should go. Also, where it says "the official h-body internet community" maybe it should state "1971-1980" so newer h-body guys don't get confused.
I don't know if we'll get so much action that we need so many sub forums. Personally, I'm not into drag racing but I enjoy reading posts from those that are. If there's a topic that doesn't interest me I'll just skip it. Off topic is OK so we can chat about Jesus or Buddha, but I don't mind seeing all the H-body related in one forum.
Classifieds should be separate.
That's my input.

Roger
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:02 pm

hey Roger,
The intent of this board is to show that the change needs to be made. I've never advocated in any fashion a mass migration away from V8Monza.com. Morally, I think it's wrong to go to someone's site and then steal its users.

If you all want to start a new board and tell V8Monza.com to pound sand that's something you all will decide. From the get-go I've told everyone my plan and stuck to it; this site is intended to be the new V8Monza board not an alternative middle-finger to Bob's site.

As for the banner, that'll all change once the site's home is determined. I made that in like 5 minutes, lol. And many of the forums I created will probably be merged into one aggregated forum.

We will probably end up with a completely different classifieds system.. keep your eyes peeled on that one..
Later,
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

COLIN: suggestions

Postby barebonesracecars » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:21 pm

Colin,

Looks great so far, and kudos to you.

2 questions/problems:

The forum doesn't fit my screen...I have to scroll back and forth side-to-side to read the pages. Is this a Forum anomaly, or a setting in my own computer?

Smilies/Emoticons: Have to admit I like these. Check out V8Buick.com.....see if you can get all of those over here, too.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

I love it!!

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:07 pm

I love all the categories...everything I wished for over at ezb.

Suggestion:
add an, ignition and cooling thread, or include it with Induction/efi.

Dont Like:

How wide the screen is...i have to keep scrolling side to side..

can you fix that?

do I need to change me screen resolution?
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby bill1978v8 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:17 pm

I agree with you Marco, I don't like scrolling side to side. Any chance we can change that?

Bill
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:30 pm

Marco and others,
The header image is a touch too wide and it's causing the site to extend beyond 1010px (about the widest you can go on a 1024x768 resolution).

I kinda want to do away with the stock subSilver template. Maybe you want to try one of the other templates in your Profile settings and tell me which you like best?

Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:55 pm

OK,
For your bandwidth-challenged users I have changed the script so that you can define whether you want avatars and signatures shown or not. That will speed page loads by quite a bit :) To change your settings just login to the Profile section and change the radio box from yes to no.

Later,
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

subDark, definitely subDark !!!

Postby fyrftr50 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:34 pm

The subDark seems to be the best for me, by far, and the forum fits in my page perfectly (I use 800x600 screen resolution) and I don't need to be scrolling from side-to-side like I have to with the Subsilver or subPortal. I also like the fact that the margins under the persons name when they post, include such things as location, # of posts, a link to your car in the garage, etc, the subPortal does not have that feature.
Bryan
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Fits my Screen Perfectly Now

Postby jon72vega » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:46 am

Colin,
Whatever you did with it since I last visited yesterday evening fixed the scrolling side to side for me.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!
jon72vega

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby barebonesracecars » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:34 am

Yes, Subdark appears to be the one. My problem is fixed as well.
Reid

barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:44 am

I didnt change my appearance, its still silver I think...but the side to side scrolling is gone.

So that issue appears to be gone.

I like in the classifieds section, how there is for sale, wanted AND trade....thats cool.

The only other thing I can think to suggest is.....

make a general H body chat...for the H body stuff that dosent fit into other categories, and then a separate genral chat altogether for topics that we'd like to discuss among our H friends that might not be actually H body.....

The reason for this is...the General H chat area (likely the most popular spot) wont get littered with really off topic stuff.

Stuff like Non H body questions, and the more argumentative topics..like religion, backpressure 8), politics ect.

Also, if you cant stand that stuff, it'll be in a forum, you dont have to click on....and the user can just concentrate on H bod stuff.

If not a good idea, no biggie, just making suggestions.

Overall- super glad to be here.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:50 am

Welcome to the board, Marco..

Hey, it's all up to you guys how you want it organized.. The current 3 forums used for classifieds will be going away soon in favor of a better-designed system that will probably have user feedback rankings and whatnot.

I think I'll try to pare tech down to 3 forums. Probably induction/engine, driveline (trans, rear-end), suspension/chassis and 'maybe' the racing chassis if Art wants to moderate that.

ttyl!
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby barebonesracecars » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:53 am

GOOD IDEA, MARCO!

I've been wanting to argue about backpressure with you again for months now. :roll: :D
Reid

barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:56 am

barebonesracecars wrote:I've been wanting to argue about backpressure with you again for months now. :roll: :D

Should I start a separate private forum for you two? :lol: :shock:
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Next

Return to General Discussion