396 for my vega maybe

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

396 for my vega maybe

Postby peterpan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:42 pm

i bought my 71 rs camaro from a local guy and after i bought it we became realy good friends and lately i have been thinking about selling it i was talking with him about it and he said he wanted it back when i bought it it had a 427 that had a knock i pulled it and built a 396 for it and changed the wheels on the camaro and thats all i have done to it he said i could keep my 396 and wheels they are keystone classics and to give him a price i paid 4,000 for it because the body is clean and it has alot of performance stuff like 4 wheel disc brakes posi and a turbo 400 and alot more but i know he wont give me what i paid him so i don't know if i will sell it it also has the numbers matching engine and trany 350/turbo 350 with it but if i was to sell it minus the motor that 396 would be great in my vega and the money would go a long way on other projects and i have another 73 Z-28 so i would still have my camaro in my collection and i just found a 70 chevelle that has caught my eye a 4 speed car

what would you guys do
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ColinOpseth » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:42 pm

Ditch the RS. Give him back the powertrain in case he wants to keep it matching numbers. Put the 396 in your Vega. Smoke some imports.
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Bacchus » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:06 pm

First, I would send me pictures of that Camaro. I am looking for one like that. If it is pretty decent, I'll give you a fair number for it.

Brian
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby DoozCoop » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:48 am

I love the 396 in my vega, but be forewarned - changing the last 2 plugs on the drivers side takes about 2 hours, the rest take 15 minutes! Not sure what brand headers are in it, but it's a real tight fit. In fact everything's a tight fit in it. I want to put in a new cam,lifters,springs, and retainers....but I have to pull the motor to do it. The front engine mount goes directly under the oil pan and timing cover. Can't jack the engine up - nothing to put the jack under! Can't pull the heads to rework the heads - the headers are in the way...can't remove the headers without pulling the engine....can't drop the oil pan, without removing the headers....can't pull the tranny to install a transbrake without pulling the engine - no room to get at bellhousing bolts...etc!!! Mine has all stock front, stock firewall. It would be a different story if it had a tube frame front, altered firewall and altered tranny tunnel. After this season I plan on pulling it out and refreshing engine and tranny, and a new set of headers, these are getting rusty...unless I drop the whole thing into the 66 Nova.....then I'll put in a SBC in the Vega simply because it's easier to work on if need be. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do with yours!
I can't drive 55!
DoozCoop

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:19 am

DoozCoop,
15 minutes to change 2 plugs? You poor boy. LT1 Camaro owners usually have to remove the passengerside motor mount to change their plugs. It's a "DAY" job to change plugs. LMAO.

I know of guys who have never changed their plugs even with 150k on the stock double platinums because they don't want to deal with the nightmare. lmao lmao lmao
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby DoozCoop » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:58 am

You misunderstood me - it takes 2 hours to change 2, then 15 minutes for the other 6. I realise what a pain it is for the monzas, I was a mechanic in a chevy dealership from 1975-83. Man I used to hate them, and Vegas! I changed a ton of Vega motors because of the blocks and heads! Then they came out with the Citations and Chevettes... :shock: I finally realised there must be an easier way to earn a living, so now I do specialty painting and wallpapering.

I know I make it sound really hard, but I grew up working on cars from the 60's - when you could actually see the engine - not like todays cars, where it's buried under all those hoses and wires,etc..
I can't drive 55!
DoozCoop

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:05 am

ya man.. i hear you..

Sorry about the mistype.. I type like 80wpm and sometimes my fingers think slower than my braind :D

I don't mind working on my IROC too much, but maybe that's because I worked on a FWD car a few times. Screw that. No RWD V8 GM car can be as much of a pain in the ASS as a FWD.

Later,
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to General Discussion