Chevette T-5

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Chevette T-5

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:43 pm

I posted on the tail end of the other Chevette trans thread but that one seems dead so I'll start another.
I nabbed a T-5 out of a Chevette for free the other day, and what an oddball trans it is. Looks to be as short as a Saginaw, torque arm mount looks the same as H-body, shifter location a bit further foreward than F-body. Case to bellhousing bolt pattern is definitely unique; no mounting "ears" - bolts are tucked in tight.
Obviously the torque handling would be inadequate for use behind a V-8, but if the output shaft and tail housing could be swapped onto a Camaro T-5, it would solve various problems such as the twisted rear mount and bent shifter, and also avoid having to shorten a driveshaft.
I seem to remember something from another thread about using the tailshaft from an S-10 T-5 to address some of the same issues.
Anyone got any ideas?
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:28 pm

good findings, if the tailshaft swap works out that would be ideal.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Len » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:57 am

Looking at the exploded views of warner t-5 & t-50 enternal components are verry different so I would say no.
How ever the information I have suggests that the t-5 was used in rwd gm 1982-86. So seeing how the trans was free I would go back & get bell housing , flywheel,pressure plate,disk,fork,th bearing & the drive shaft. To check the bolt pattern on the bell housing to what you have now if the same with the other t-5 components you should be able to make it work.As to how strong it would be I have no clue......

Len
Len

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:02 am

so its possible that.....this tranny could be used to add a 5th gear to a 4cyl, 4 speed saginaw equipped h bod without having to source out the hard to find 5 speed bracketry?

Not much interest to the performance crowd but in these days of high gas prices....might be of value to a daily driver H?

sounds promising.

marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Chevette T5

Postby cozwurth » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:37 pm

I found a great site a while back that deals with swapping a T-5 tranny into a number of different chassis types. There is quite a bit of info on the 'vette T-5 as well.

http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/

Check it out and see what you think.

Dave
Dave
And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise up against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes in diverse places. All these are the beginnings of sorrows. MATT 24:6-8
cozwurth

1974 Chevrolet Vega Panel Express

Postby greg72 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:00 pm

I found this on the site Dave just posted , and he's right it is a cool site.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
24.2. 1976 383 Vega
My friend John built this car and decided that the Borg Warner T50 transmission was on its last legs (gee, I wonder why). John discovered that the Chevette T5 is about the same length as a Saginaw, the shifter is in the same relative position as the T50, and the extension housing has torque arm mounting holes. Since all non-World Class T5s share the same mainshaft journal dimensions and the backs of all of the non-World Class T5 main cases are the same, it looked like we could utilize the modularity of the T5 and assemble a custom transmission.

Two transmissions were needed to perform this swap: a T5 from a Chevette and a non-World Class T5 from a V8 F body. I loaded the Chevette T5 mainshaft with the gears from the F body T5 and installed the mainshaft assembly into the F body T5 main case. The Chevette lid, F body front bearing retainer, and Chevette extension housing were then bolted to the F body main case. This was too easy.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:12 pm

so isnt that basicly saying that using the 2 trannies you could assemble a t-5 5speed that bolts right into the saginaws spot????

if so, that would be too easy.

marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Pictures? Got Any Pictures?

Postby res0o7eb » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:14 pm

Spencer,

Very interesting swap. Can you post some pictures of the Chevette transmission and the hybrid?

Thanks,
Tom
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:38 pm

Sorry, guys for the 5 day delay in responding- it was Thanksgiving long weekend up here in Canada and I was at the cottage.
No pics 'til tomorrow, but I looked at a Mustang T-5 last week, and I think the Chevette trans actually uses the Ford main case- I thought you couldn't crossbreed GM and Ford T-5's?
Thanks to greg72 for finding out that I'm not the first one to think of this idea- it should make my T-5 swap a whole bunch easier.
Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a V-6 F-body version of this tranny, and so far I can't find the proper V-8 one for a decent price, but I'm still looking; if necessary I'll order up the "hybrid" disc and take my chances- maybe it'll live if stay off the drag strip.
spencerforhire

Postby greg72 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:04 am

Thanks to greg72 for finding out that I'm not the first one to think of this idea- it should make my T-5 swap a whole bunch easier.

You are wlecome , but the real credit belongs to Dave (cozwurth). I just read through the website he had suggested. :)

I am also very interested in this topic. I like the 3.42s in my Mirage but i want to drive it (a lot) and am thinking a 5 spd trans would be just the ticket.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

finally- Chevette T5 pics

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:18 pm

Here's some photos of the Saginaw-length T5 I scored alongside the F-body one I'm going to try to crossbreed it with; also in background is the 76 Vega T50 for comparison. The T50 shifter had been bent to fit with a V8(of course it blew up!) and it looks like the Chevette shifter location is dead on. It looks like I might have to modify the torque arm mount- the bolt holes are oriented differently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spencerforhire

finally- Chevette T5 pics

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:20 pm

Here's some photos of the Saginaw-length T5 I scored alongside the F-body one I'm going to try to crossbreed it with; also in background is the 76 Vega T50 for comparison. The T50 shifter had been bent to fit with a V8(of course it blew up!) and it looks like the Chevette shifter location is dead on. It looks like I might have to modify the torque arm mount- the bolt holes are oriented differently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spencerforhire

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:23 pm

hmm; double post and only one photo- lets trt another.
spencerforhire

Re: Chevette T-5

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:42 pm

so what ever happened to this?
monzaaddict

Re: Chevette T-5

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:18 pm

My wagon project is on the back, back, back burner. lol. There's a whole string of T-5's on a shelf in my garage. Right where they've been for the 10 years since my last post.
I did manage to score a "hybrid" clutch disc(and Centerforce pressure plate) so I can use the V6 Firebird trans if I feel brave.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

Next

Return to General Discussion