Question about a Skyhawk

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Question about a Skyhawk

Postby ColinOpseth » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:21 pm

My Dad has a 77 Skyhawk and the engine has blown a head gasket. I'm wondering if the stock trans will hold up to a V8. The car is in very nice shape but it needs paint. I think it has about 80k miles on it or something. It needs some TLC but it's complete.

Anyone want to trade across for a V8 Vega? :p

Later,
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:34 pm

I assume it's a manual trans, correct? (if auto, I'm sure you know it won't bolt to a Chev. block)

If it's the stock Saginaw, and it's in decent internal shape, I would say it will be fine except for 'abuse'.....drag racing, hi-rpm clutch drops, etc. :burn:

Regular old spirited street driving should be ok. My opinion. :wiggle:
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby ColinOpseth » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:46 pm

You know, I didn't even think about it being BOP. I'm a Chevy guy and was thinking about someone wanting to restore it or something. The body is in really good shape.

Yes, it's a slushbox. I was going to drop a smallblock in it and drive it but I'd rather give someone here a shot at getting a pretty nice car and in exchange I get a running V8 car (even if it needs some work).

I can provide a ton of pics. It's brown (now) with red interior. I think the original color may have been maroon?

My Dad bought it from an old lady. It always overheated even from when we got it. My guess is the head gaskets were always weak in it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested let me know. I can deliver the car anywhere on the West Coast. It still runs but I wouldn't trust it on a long drive....it gets pretty hot on extended trips.

Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ColinOpseth » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:48 pm

I'd also be interested in pretty much any 2+2 Monza... I'm pretty open..

later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:55 pm

A 350 Buick will bolt right in there..... :hump:

Have reservations about a sbb? Go over to V8Buick.com and read about the 1000+ hp 350......

:burn:

:burn:
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby ColinOpseth » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:01 pm

ya man.. I know..

I just would like someone who loves 'hawks to get a shot at it before I rip the powertrain out and put in a 6-speed and SBC. I know it's kinda rare, moreso than a plain ol' Vega or Monza. It has gauges and all that stuff.

I do like the fact it uses a torque arm and has a good rear to start with, though.
Later,
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to General Discussion