Fastest conversion you've done?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Fastest conversion you've done?

Postby ColinOpseth » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:14 pm

Heh.. I always tell my friends how fast they've done a V8 conversion when parts are on hand..

So here comes the question. Can the swap really be done in a weekend?
Later,
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:01 pm

Ha ha ha....I wouldn't count on driving it to work on Monday.

If you had done it before, and had ALL the parts (and an assortment of stuff to dig through), I suppose it could be done. But with water pump length issues, wiring to fix/lengthen, brackets to round up, well, like I said..... :cuss:
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby ColinOpseth » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:36 pm

Reid,
I have the swap kit. Unsure which water pump to run but I believe it's the short style?

Regardless, I think my LT1 project is going to take quite a bit longer and i'm really starting to get antsy. I want to drive a fast car again. My IROC is OK but it's a mid 15 second car...not exactly a speed demon.

So, I think I may toss a carb'd SBC into one of my other Vegas and boot around in that. I also ahve an S10 rear and whatnot so it'll just be a matter of swapping the brackets and whatnot.. fairly straight-forward, I'm assuming. I'm fortunate in that my neighbor owes me a bunch of welding and he will do all of the work for free :)

Later,
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:43 pm

Yes, should be the short pump.

I was just thinking of belt alignment isses, etc. But if you actually had everything , say, if you had stripped a factory V-8 car, it could be done.
Then there's the radiator & hoses, battery cables, etc. Still, if you have all the parts is the key.

I guess I just work slow, so I wouldn't count on getting it done. But then again, it took me 1/2 my life to make mine driveable. :oops: So don't rely solely on what I say!
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

swap

Postby peterpan » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:00 pm

on my 78 monza wagon i had to move the trany back and change the shifter linkage it is a 4 speed saginaw and the shifter rods were shorter for the 151 then bolt up the monza v8 mounts then the wiring and fuel line and radiator was a problem i used the alt bracket and water pump off a 70 gmc i had monza exhaust manifolds then front springs are still a problem

if i had the parts and had allready done at least one before then yes i would say a weekend job but without completing one before my wagon i had to do alot of trial and error for brackets and such i cut a stock oil pan and put 1/4 inch spacers under my mounts total time about two weeks worth of working on it a couple hours a day

there was alot that i did not know that i had to do before the wagon i only mocked up a 350 in my vega but i learned alot that i will use on my vega to make it easy
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:09 pm

If you've done it before, have ALL the parts and hardware (factor in 1 run to the parts store anyways), and an engine leveler,
Its , install all day saturday , finish hookups on sunday.tweek/tune on sunday, drive to work on monday.
Be sure to have beer and pizza money in the garage.

With no brake or suspension issues of course.

I install the engine and tranny as a unit.

done it many times alone in a day.
:cheers:
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

ENGINE CHANGES/V-8

Postby mldeolde » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:23 pm

I'D SAY A GOOD 3 DAY WEEKEND AT LEAST. MY EXPIERIENCE HAS BEEN A WHOLE DAY TO DO A ENGINE CHANGE WITH NEW CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE IN A 4 SPD CAR LIKE A CAMERO OR NOVA AND THATS TWO GUYS THAT KNOW WHAT TO DO AND WORK WELL TOGETHER AND THOSE CARS BEING BIGGER ARE EASIER TO WORK ON. ALSO REPLACEING WITH IDENTICAL PARTS REALLY SPEEDS UP THE JOB OVER DOING BIG CHANGES. PS: COLIN I HAVE A NEW ALUMINUM WATER PUMP THAT I GOT FOR THE IMSA BEFORE I RAN INTO THE DEAL ON THE BIG MOROSO PUMP. IF YOU WANT IT I CAN PROBABLY DO A COME AND GET IT DEAL FOR YOU CAUSE I DON'T NEED IT ANY MORE. 8)
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:32 am

mldeolde,
That's super nice of you. I will probably take you up on that. Do you need anything? I have some stuff kicking around :)

Uhm.. well, I have a V8 Monza radiator and manifolds.. I also have the y-pipe.. I think my Dad has a set of motor mounts and the V8 accessory brackets..

I have a spare S10 conversion kit but I'd worry about the springs later. I really want to try the conversion in one weekend. Maybe have a couple of my friends come over and help me out. I'm sure it can be done.

I put the LT1/T56 into my '72 with my wife's Dad's help in like... 45 minutes :D Having a tractor helps a lot.

Later,
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

PUMP/PAY BACKS A BITCH

Postby mldeolde » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:50 am

here is the lowdown on the pump Colin. it's a Howard Stewart pump from a well known nascar manufacturer in HIGH POINT,NC. its a circle track racing pump with 3/4" shaft: FEATURES-356-t6 heat treated high flow aluminum housing,heavy duty bearing assembly,ceramic/stainless steel seal assembly, high flow fully machined cast iron imppeller,steelbillet duel pattern fan hub, oh yea and it is the short style pump. IF NOT TOTALLY SATISFIED WITH PUMP YOUR GAS MONEY WILL BE CHEERFULLY REFUNDED . :lol: :lol: :lol:
mldeolde

Postby mldeolde » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:56 am

HAVE TO CALL MY BROTHER LATER AM IF AND WHEN HE GETS OUT OF BED TO SEE IF ITS SITTING ON THE BACK SEAT OF THE NOVA OUT IN GARDEN GROVE. IF IT IS I'LL BE THERE THRU THE 4TH AND RETRIEVE IT IF NOT IT MUST BE IN MY ASSORTMENT OF ENGINE PARTS IN WITH THE IMSA. I THINK I HAVE ENOUGH PARTS TO ASSEMBLE AT LEAST 3 DIFFERENT ENGINES IN THERE AND I TEND TO LOOSE TRACK OF WHAT ALL IS THERE.
mldeolde

Postby mldeolde » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:43 am

COLIN- CALLED MY BROTHER AND YEP THE PUMPS SITTIN ON THE BACK SEAT OF THE NOVA. I'LL BRING IT BACK WITH ME ON TUESDAY EVENING AFTER WE FINNISH TOTALLY REBUILDING THE FRONT END INCLUDING THE NEW SLOTED DRILLED DISCS TO HELP SLOW DOWN THIS LIESUREWORLD STREET ROD. AH YES ANOTHER WRENCHIN HOLIDAY WEEKEND AT THE OLD EDWARDS GARAGE.
mldeolde

Postby TurboMonzaTC » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:55 pm

My record outta the 12 times pullin the motor from a assembled body running out of the car with the trannie and back in and running is just a hair under 4 hours. But as far as the conversion goes......I still dont have it done cus i cant get the damn thing to run right hehe.
-R3
Hear R3's Coffin Tree Legacy at www.Myspace.com/R3sCoffinTreeLegacy
TurboMonzaTC

1979 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:19 am

TurboMonzaTC wrote:My record outta the 12 times pullin the motor from a assembled body running out of the car with the trannie and back in and running is just a hair under 4 hours. But as far as the conversion goes......I still dont have it done cus i cant get the damn thing to run right hehe.
-R3

Holy shit, LOL.. way to go.. That may be a record? lmao
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:21 am

mldeolde wrote:COLIN- CALLED MY BROTHER AND YEP THE PUMPS SITTIN ON THE BACK SEAT OF THE NOVA. I'LL BRING IT BACK WITH ME ON TUESDAY EVENING AFTER WE FINNISH TOTALLY REBUILDING THE FRONT END INCLUDING THE NEW SLOTED DRILLED DISCS TO HELP SLOW DOWN THIS LIESUREWORLD STREET ROD. AH YES ANOTHER WRENCHIN HOLIDAY WEEKEND AT THE OLD EDWARDS GARAGE.

Man.. that's really nice of you.. If you need any help with your car let me know. I'm always available to help another H-Bod owner ;)

I need to get my EFI friends up here.. I need help wiring up my LT1. I don't have the fuse panel so I need to wire a ton of relays.. :/ Maybe the carb gods are trying to tell me I should have done a carb car?

Later,
colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby mldeolde » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:52 am

COLIN- RETRIEVED THE WATER PUMP FROM ORANGE COUNTY . LET ME KNOW IF AND WHEN YOU NEED IT. BUMMER GOT ALL THE FRONT END AND BRAKES DONE ON THE NOVA ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT SOME HOW A BUNCH OF WATER GOT INTO MY MSD PRO BILLET DISTRIBUTOR AND SERIOUSLY CORRODED EVERY THING INSIDE. GUESS I'LL HAVE TO HAVE IT SENT OUT TO BE CHECKED OR TAKEN TO J&M SPEED TO FIND OUT WHAT ALL GOT DAMAGED. NOTHING MORE FRUSTRATING THAT DOING A BUNCH OF WORK IN ONE AREA OF A CAR ONLY TO HAVE ANOTHER AREA FAIL ON YOU PREVENTING YOU FROM EVEN CHECKING OUT YOUR WORKAFTER IT'S DONE. SORRY ABOUT THE OFF TOPIC ! just needed to vent. you know how that is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :(
mldeolde

Next

Return to General Discussion