brake upgrade question

Moderator: Moderators

brake upgrade question

Postby dindin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 am

I know this was talked about... but after doing vented front rotor upgrade on my 75 Cosworth, I have a low pedal that feels kinda spongy..

Does anyone drive the car like this? or is a MC upgrade a must?

It seems like it will stop ok just kinda lower than normal,( I have not driven the car yet,still in my garage) from what I read happens when you have a smaller bore MC than called for on the calipers, just wanna be sure its safe this way, and if I do upgrade MC does the front the rear bias valve from 75 stay or does it also need to be changed to match the bigger bore MC.

Thanks Al
dindin

Re: brake upgrade question

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Al,

Replacing the master cylinder with one of the proper bore size is a must! I have a wrinkled fender in the attic for proof. Since you're using the Monza calipers, you'll need a '76 or later Monza master (or any other one that will fit with a 7/8" bore). There should be no issues with the bias, but if you are concerned, and adjustable proportioning valve is easy enough to install.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzaaddict » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Not positive but I believe you have to switch the lines on the master cylinder front to back when using the later master cylinder.
monzaaddict

Postby dindin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:24 pm

monzaaddict wrote:Not positive but I believe you have to switch the lines on the master cylinder front to back when using the later master cylinder.

So the rear reservoir would go to front brakes and front reservoir to rear brakes??

Al
dindin

Postby dindin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 am

I see now, Went to order a new master and the ports sizes are opposite, no biggie..Thanks Guys
dindin

Postby dindin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:05 pm

Found some adaptors at Summitt for about $15.00

now just need to get cup for the push rod..saw one at inline tube for about $20.00 shall see if it works

mc.png

Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dindin

Postby dindin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:42 am

I found a cup for the master cylinder rod at inline tube for about $20.00,

I ended up just using the old rod and cutting off the washer as I read here from Chuck in the past.
It worked good, and brakes are nice and firm now..

Pedal seems high because of the way the other master is recessed where the rod enters the master..I notice the brake pedal has a hole below where the factory stud is, maybe try using that and see if it helps the high pedal..

Here is a picture of the cup.

cup.jpg

Thankfully I have this site to help me out,
Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dindin

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:33 am

Al,

Good to hear you have the brakes working better. The lower hole on the brake pedal is for power brakes. If used on a manual setup, there won't be as much mechanical advantage so you'll need more leg pressure to get the same amount of braking.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech