four link vs ladder bar

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Fasterthansome » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:38 pm

I will try to get it up on the hoist soon and get some pics.
It was on there a week or so ago but no camera handy :(
Stripped all the teeth off the ring gear :shock: Too bad, it was about to go fast 8)
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

rear suspension

Postby MonzaRacer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:54 am

Well as for the torque arm being a good set up that blows and i have seen more than my share of torque arm setups and they suck,,period.
For a strip blaster I would look at Jegster SS bars as they can go from street mode to strip mode very quickly.
I have seen several cars with torque arm setups and while one guy got his car into the 9s in the quarter it took him all season and it never handled right.
The next year he went with the SS bars and tada a non twitchy very drivable car.
OH and the torque arm keeps you from installing any good exhaust too.
But good luck to all who have what they have and what they choose to use.
Just my $.02
MonzaRacer

Postby katostud » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:16 am

monza racer what do u all need part #s if possible for the jegster ss bars 2 work in a 76 vega hatch? all the parts id need for this set up?
katostud

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:17 am

katostud wrote:monza racer what do u all need part #s if possible for the jegster ss bars 2 work in a 76 vega hatch? all the parts id need for this set up?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 2_-1_10063
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Re: rear suspension

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:47 am

MonzaRacer wrote:Well as for the torque arm being a good set up that blows and i have seen more than my share of torque arm setups and they suck,,period.
For a strip blaster I would look at Jegster SS bars as they can go from street mode to strip mode very quickly.
I have seen several cars with torque arm setups and while one guy got his car into the 9s in the quarter it took him all season and it never handled right.
The next year he went with the SS bars and tada a non twitchy very drivable car.
Just my $.02

Wow I guess I should consider a new set up. Torque arms blow and suck! Thanks! :lol: :lol:
The Jegs S/S bars should work as well as any other ladder bar set up out there. Except probably not as strong due to the load angles and design of the S/S bars.
I have seen a few torque arm set ups and they seem to work well.
Take a look at the fastest stock suspension F body's. :o
Running into the 9's with stock boxed lower arms and braced stock torque arm is not too difficult.
Not twitchy or non drivable? I guess if it was set up wrong it would be.
Not sure how torque arm would create exhaust issues? I run dual 3" exhaust and didnt have any problems. I now have a torque arm that mounts to a front bolt in crossmember and still run the same exhaust system.

I chose the stock set up originally due to cost, and the fact it was allready there. Oh yeah, and it works!
Last edited by Fasterthansome on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby katostud » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:33 am

im considering this ss bar set up what shock and spring combo would i use 4 this set up ?
katostud

Re: rear suspension

Postby DEMON Precision » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:52 pm

Fasterthansome wrote:
MonzaRacer wrote:Well as for the torque arm being a good set up that blows and i have seen more than my share of torque arm setups and they suck,,period.
Just my $.02

Wow I guess I should consider a new set up. Torque arms blow and suck! Thanks! :lol: :lol:
The Jegs S/S bars should work as well as any other ladder bar set up out there. Except probably not as strong due to the load angles and design of the S/S bars.
I have seen a few torque arm set ups and they seem to work well.
Take a look at the fastest stock suspension F body's. :o
Running into the 9's with stock boxed lower arms and braced stock torque arm is not too difficult.
Not twitchy or non drivable? I guess if it was set up wrong it would be.
Not sure how torque arm would create exhaust issues? I run dual 3" exhaust and didnt have any problems. I now have a torque arm that mounts to a front bolt in crossmember and still run the same exhaust system.

I chose the stock set up originally due to cost, and the fact it was allready there. Oh yeah, and it works!

ya frank you should get rid of that set-up you have LOL we all know they don,t work , i guess that,s why guys that have gone 7.60,s in the 1/4 are 1 in a trillion with their torquearm set-up,s and i cant, count on how many guys regularly run bottom 8,s to hi 7,s with their torquearm set-up,s .
DEMON Precision

Postby katostud » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:54 pm

ok i gotta question about my suspension. i have a 76 vega hatch with a monza rear end. it has a torque arm and 2 control arms on the bottom. is this right? or is there soposto be upper and lower control arms?
katostud

Postby DEMON Precision » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:07 pm

katostud wrote:ok i gotta question about my suspension. i have a 76 vega hatch with a monza rear end. it has a torque arm and 2 control arms on the bottom. is this right? or is there soposto be upper and lower control arms?

ya , there should also be a diagonal link behind the rearend that goes from the floor on the drivers side to the rearend on the passenger side , this is to keep the rearend from shifting from side to side .
DEMON Precision

Postby katostud » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:26 pm

ok thanks. thats what i got. just making sure. im ripping into it this week 2 replace the shocks springs and bushings that are shot. what all should i beef up and brace while im at it?
katostud

Postby Fasterthansome » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:14 am

katostud wrote:ok thanks. thats what i got. just making sure. im ripping into it this week 2 replace the shocks springs and bushings that are shot. what all should i beef up and brace while im at it?

The autozone cheapo red ryder shocks are good for the back.
As far as bracing goes, you should box the lower control arms.
I boxed mine and also put a small steel plate about 1" wide at the very front, and very rear of lca's to keep it from seperating in front of the bushings. Hope that makes sense.
My torque arm split the upper bolt holes years ago. I put a piece of steel across the top and bottom of torque arm at bolt holes and re drilled bolt holes. I also extended the plate forward of the bolt holes and cut the angle to match the arm. Thats about all I did and ran mid 10's for years that way. I will try to get pics but am having camera troubles. Also once it started going 10 teens the arm tried to flex into the driveshaft at the far rear. Further support helped that.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby katostud » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:48 pm

ok i boxed in my control arms,put in z28 springs extreme energy bushings, and new shocks and my s10 axels with 26x9 in tires. now the car sits alittle lower on the passenger side and the tire rubs when i hit a dip. did i do something wrong or do i have 2 adjust something?
katostud

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech