Front end Spindles

Moderator: Moderators

Front end Spindles

Postby Mike1978 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:49 pm

I am in process of updating my 1978 hatch back to 5 lug. I found a site not to long ago that listed how to change standard four lug spindles to S10 spindles so you can run five lug. All you have to do is put a bushing spacer or something like that to change them out. Does anyone know of this?? Please help.
Mike1978

Postby NixVegaGT » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:44 pm

Hey Mike. Welcome to the site! There are a couple ways to do this. One is buy Ball Joint adapters from Bob Gumm. Here's a link to some info about them:

http://www.v8monza.com/faq-fsus-S10_front-walk-thru.htm

Another way is to modify the upper control arm for new S10 BJs. That's nice because the stock H BJs are becoming very hard to find for a reasonable price.

Lastly you can buy new sleeves to weld into the lower control arms. That's what I did. If you choose to go this route an important factor to be aware of is that the lower BJ fastener hole for the lower BJ on the S10 spindle is about 1/4" farther inboard than the stock H spindle. SO If I was to do this all over again I'd weld in the new LBJ sleeves 1/4" farther in to avoid the common camber problems that come when retrofitting the S10 spindles.

http://www.ubmachine.com/balljoints.html

Make sense?
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:11 pm

So when doing that swap....you use BOTH s10 upper AND lower ball joints?

They just bolt on ...bolt upper and press lowers?

I have not even gotten close to considering this option yet but I may in future and just wanted to know.

Also...how much is everyone paying for spindles and rear axles used?

All the junkyards around here want bookoo dollars for anything.

The spindles and brake assemblies theyre asking somthing like 150 for....You can get new drop spindles for that....yikes.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby NixVegaGT » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:31 pm

I decided to go with both mostly because the availability is so limited on stock BJs now. You've got to modify the upper control arms with bigger clearance holes and new holes for the bolts. I welded in the stock holes and drilled new ones. It was really easy.

THe lowers are a bit tougher. You've got to cut out the old sleeves out and weld in the new ones. Like I was saying above you need to weld them inboard about a 1/4"

Jim at:
www.jdrace.com

Sells axles. I bought some from him for $70 I think... He's a great guy.

I think I bought my front S10 suspension components for about $125. For spindles, rotors, calipers and master cylinder. That was a really good deal though.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby djv8ga » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:41 pm

Mike, you can also just get your current rotors re-drilled and studs installed for 5 lug.
djv8ga

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Kenova » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:45 am

If you are going to go through the trouble of converting to other ball joints, you also have the option of using '67 - '69 F-body or '68 - '74 X-body joints. We all know what kind of support they get in the aftermarket.
I have eyeballed the stock spindles on my '71 Nova and they look to be the same size as my Vega's. They also have a bolt on steering arm that could be swapped for something slightly different if necessary.
Ken
Kenova

Postby MonzaRacer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:14 pm

I have a guy looking into an aftermarket produced spindle that is sold for other applications but first and formost he is working up some new upper controlarms which will solve adjustment problems.
The company is SC&C in PA. Markus is an old Monza owner from way back aand even has a few new body parts for Monza, even one quarter but cant remember which one.
I will be posting back soon with a parts list and options for making an Hbody handle.
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE
MonzaRacer

Postby res0o7eb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:28 pm

Mike,
Welcome to the site. Put some pics of your Monza in the garage when you get a chance.

djv8ga wrote:Mike, you can also just get your current rotors re-drilled and studs installed for 5 lug.

This service is available from Moser Engineering: $85/pair using your rotors. Includes wheel studs, but not shipping (could be costly).

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/S ... vices.html

Anybody have this done locally where they live?
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Redrilling Vega or Monza to 5 lug

Postby 70styleVega » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:18 pm

If you are considering this route, you might want to think about a redrill to the slightly smaller 4 1/2 ford pattern, instead of the chevy 4 3/4 pattern.

In this case, the ford pattern will likely provide greater structural integrity as the chevy pattern is so close to edge of the rotor. Something to consider, if you don't already own chevy pattern wheels.
75 Vega hatchback, EFI 5.3L/t350 swap kit, street/strip, budget build in progress
70styleVega

1975 Chevrolet Vega

thank you

Postby Mike1978 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:55 am

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. It makes perfect sense. Thanks again.

NixVegaGT wrote:Hey Mike. Welcome to the site! There are a couple ways to do this. One is buy Ball Joint adapters from Bob Gumm. Here's a link to some info about them:

http://www.v8monza.com/faq-fsus-S10_front-walk-thru.htm

Another way is to modify the upper control arm for new S10 BJs. That's nice because the stock H BJs are becoming very hard to find for a reasonable price.

Lastly you can buy new sleeves to weld into the lower control arms. That's what I did. If you choose to go this route an important factor to be aware of is that the lower BJ fastener hole for the lower BJ on the S10 spindle is about 1/4" farther inboard than the stock H spindle. SO If I was to do this all over again I'd weld in the new LBJ sleeves 1/4" farther in to avoid the common camber problems that come when retrofitting the S10 spindles.

http://www.ubmachine.com/balljoints.html

Make sense?
Mike1978

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech