Revised Frame Connector Plans

Moderator: Moderators

Revised Frame Connector Plans

Postby Buscop » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:34 pm

The fellow who drew the original plans has revised them and sent them along to me to share with the H-Body guys. :lol:

If you want the FULL size scan email me and I'll send it along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2009 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Buscop

1979 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:48 pm

I like it. I'd like to see the finished product and also after installed.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Buscop » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:19 pm

He no longer has an H-Body car...you will have to do it your self..
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
Buscop

Postby res0o7eb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:01 am

This good stuff. I really would like to attempt to do this when I get some welding skills.

As I review the drawing for producibility, I notice the jog(gle) is not dimensioned. In a mechanical drawing, a jog(gle) normally is dimensioned with the offset and an angle.
But, I am assuming that this was left out of the drawing based on the Note ("no 2 cars are alike"). It is custom work 0 different for every car.
From the drawing, it looks like it's 30-45 degree x 3 inch joggle. That could be called out on the drawing as a reference dimension - meaning the actual dimension is supplied elsewhere.
Also, a joggle is dimensioned from the outside. So, the 5' dim would extend to about 5' 2" to 5' 3"(units should consistent, so actually 62" to 63") and the 24" dim would be reduced accordingly (but should actually be dimensioned from the same reference plane as the 5' dim, so it would be 7' or 84").

There is still some ambiguity that needs to be fixed. But, I'm not trying to be critical or anything. I realize that this drawing is basically to be used as a reference for custom work. Much appreciated. I used to do mechanical drawing for a living on CAD(Computer-Aided Design) systems. So this was an interesting exercise for me to check the drawing.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby Buscop » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:23 pm

res0o7eb wrote:This good stuff. I really would like to attempt to do this when I get some welding skills.

As I review the drawing for producibility, I notice the jog(gle) is not dimensioned. In a mechanical drawing, a jog(gle) normally is dimensioned with the offset and an angle.
But, I am assuming that this was left out of the drawing based on the Note ("no 2 cars are alike"). It is custom work 0 different for every car.
From the drawing, it looks like it's 30-45 degree x 3 inch joggle. That could be called out on the drawing as a reference dimension - meaning the actual dimension is supplied elsewhere.
Also, a joggle is dimensioned from the outside. So, the 5' dim would extend to about 5' 2" to 5' 3"(units should consistent, so actually 62" to 63") and the 24" dim would be reduced accordingly (but should actually be dimensioned from the same reference plane as the 5' dim, so it would be 7' or 84").

There is still some ambiguity that needs to be fixed. But, I'm not trying to be critical or anything. I realize that this drawing is basically to be used as a reference for custom work. Much appreciated. I used to do mechanical drawing for a living on CAD(Computer-Aided Design) systems. So this was an interesting exercise for me to check the drawing.

Maybe it would be an asset to all of US if you would kindly transpose the hand draw plans to a CAD type drawing if possible.. :lol:
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
Buscop

Postby res0o7eb » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:57 am

Buscop wrote:Maybe it would be an asset to all of US if you would kindly transpose the hand draw plans to a CAD type drawing if possible.. :lol:

Russell,
I'll give it a try. I can do a 2-D drawing in AutoCad for now. If someone wants to do a 3-D model, go for it.

But, the ambiguities that I see are in the ends of the frame.
Side View B and Side View C just don't match the Top View of each end. I honestly can't figure it out. So, I'll need some help there.
Perhaps, European drafting methods were used to pull the views, so I am looking in to that.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:18 am

side view b should be rotated 90* counter clockwise. still trying to figure out side view c. I would assume view c should also be rotated 90* counter clockwise. The way they are drawn it is as if you'd be looking at them the way they would be in the car as viewed from the left side. did i make any sence?
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:28 am

the more i look at it i think side view c should be rotated 90* clockwise. i'm confusing myself, i'm gonna go now. lol
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Buscop » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:03 am

I'll try and get a hold of the fellow who originally drew the plans and had them on his Monza. I'll see if he can help us better understand his drawings. :lol:
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
Buscop

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech