Spindle project

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:11 am

CNC by means of swazall and air powered cutoff tool...lol

Looks all good to me....just make sure you use a heavy gauge piece of steel stock for that plate and compensate for its thickness.

Id use somthing like 8 gauge steel....and yes...twas me that suggested the pipe.

There are a few places around here that do metal fabricating and recycling and I can get stock from them....check around and see if there is any place like that close to you...yellow pages man...yallow pages....let your fingers to the walking bro.

if not im sure a machine shop wouldnt charge more than 20-30 dollars to machine a spacer for you if you brought them the bearings....but I know alot of machine shops have inflated rates.

Good luck and God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby DEMON Precision » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:12 am

if not im sure a machine shop wouldnt charge more than 20-30 dollars to machine a spacer for you if you brought them the bearings....but I know alot of machine shops have inflated rates.

Good luck and God bless
-Shred[/quote]

what makes you think machineshops have inflated rates ?? do you have any idea what it costs to run a machine shop ?? buying a lathe or a mill may seem cheap to most , try tooling up a lathe or a mill then you will see where all the so call inflated pricing comes from , i can,t tell you have many times i,ve had to spend several hundreds of $$$,s on tooling to do a job that is only worth $100 , it,s part of the trade , in a jobbing shop enviroment 70% of the jobs that come in the door typically require some type of tooling purchases to get the customer his job on time , that last shop i was at spent an average of 3 to 5 k every month on tooling used on a daily basis .

if any business has infalted rates it,s plumbers and electrictians , they carry 90% of their tools on their belts yet they seem to charge $20/$30 and hr more then most machine shops i deal with .
DEMON Precision

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:30 am

I guess I wasnt specific enough.

I think that most machine shops are very fair in their pricing of labor on set rate jobs like pressing wrist pins or boring cylinders.

But fabrication jobs or welding jobs, in my experience, have been very and unduly IMHO, salty.

I spoke to a reputable machine shop about welding in some seat brackets because the bracket broke on my truck....i specified I just wanted it functional because it would never be seen.....actually a 10 minute job to weld 2 seat bracket 2 inches a piece and they qouted me $200...I dunno what goes into welding a seat bracket.....oh wait....yes I do....not much.
Definitley not $200 dollars worth of time or material on a job that comes to you.

I didnt mean to offend

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby res0o7eb » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:32 am

DEMON Precision wrote:... that last shop i was at spent an average of 3 to 5 k every month on tooling used on a daily basis .

What kind of tooling are you talking about?
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby 92turbogtz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:05 am

any progress on this project?
Alex
1998 BMW 328is - Current
78 Formula Sunbird - Sold :(
92turbogtz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:08 pm

Sorry, I missed this post. No, its on the back burner for now. I have so much to do to my car that its easy to find some thing else to work on. Plus, I've reached a point where the next step involves spending money at a machine shop and there's so much more to spend money on.
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby 92turbogtz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:36 pm

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to seeing if this was a viable route to go.
Alex
1998 BMW 328is - Current
78 Formula Sunbird - Sold :(
92turbogtz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby spyder_xlch » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:28 pm

Roger, what was it about the S-10 swap you didn't like? Was it the camber/caster issue?
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby SunbirdMan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:51 pm

That and the steering arms being slightly longer, thus changing the Ackerman (which I honestly can't say is that big of a problem, I just figured gm knew what they were doing when they came up with this length) And, although I already bought a set of Bob's adapters, I like the idea of not needing them.
Another thing that got me start on this was that I've toyed with the idea of rack and pinion. But the racks that are small enough to fit, don't have enough side to side travel. So eventually I was thinking of a shorter bolt on steering arm the would shorten the turning radius of the spindle.
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech