s10 conversion why do it ??

Moderator: Moderators

Postby greg72 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:43 am

I , like Clyde , updated my 72 Vega's brakes with the vented rotors from a 78 Monza. I also grabbed the 7.5" rear and that got me the bigger rears. This was in the early 80's and it was a big improvement over the stock 72 Vega brakes.

I would leave it that way but as I am redoing the front end anyway , I am going to put in the s10 spindles etc. And i will be relocating the upper ball joint.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby heinz057 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:34 pm

clyde it helps buy having the alignment machine at work and you can play with it till it's right. i,m using a manual steering box and have no problems steering at all. i just did a coup on sat and no way i could get it close so i relocated the upper controlarm bolts and re welded the washers and the solved the problem. it looks like gm set the aliment then welded those washers. not all i have seen are in the same place.
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:39 pm

Yeah, I need to find a good place willing to play with it. The fact that GM spec'd these out at NEGATIVE caster doesn't help.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby heinz057 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:54 pm

neg caster makes easy for the grandmas to steer . but sucks at high speed
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Wrong,,,

Postby MonzaRacer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:13 am

Negative caster DOES NOT make a car easier to steer it gives more steering input to driver and a heavier feel to the wheel.
Positive caster makes the wheel feel lighter and more easily moved ie less force needs to be input into the wheel.
As for the up grade there are several benifits for doing it and I think I may have way around the longer steering arms.
First of all the ease of replacement parts. I tried to get calipers and rotors off the shelf and no one had then but could get them in a few days.
The rotors have a slightly larger swept area, a better bearing package/spacing. If you use the rear brakes the S10 brakes are wider AND a semi metalic shoe also.
I up grades all the way around (s10 fronts and a s10 rear end complete)and it also got me 3.42 gears too.
And no torque arm.
I have in the works a bolt in 4 link that can be added with little moding and I even have an upper mount that will let me install Air Ride Technologies ShockWaves or Cool Ride springs.
Depending on the way things measure out I am still working on 2 different designs, one with parallel arms and reuse the panhard bar and one with triangulated arms and no panhard bar.
I am looking into installing a 4wd rear end so I dont have to use such a wierd offset wheel as I am working on a Monza that will be Pro-Touring.
also if you use the 98 up 2wd Blazers spindle it gives even bigger brakes and pad availability and if you up grade to 17s you can install Corvette C5/C6 brakes later on.
I am working out the setup for front Air Ride, just working on 2 ways to do it with a bolt in plate reinforcement mount that goes where the stock spring pocket is and can use either the ShockWaves or coil overs.
Since I have a hook up with ART I can get parts and sell at catalog prices too.
I hope to have my 77 running before September as we have alocal car cruise I want to sit the car down at and hope we can maybe use local closed Kmart for an imprompt too autocross spot!
I am still trying to get the proper ShockWaves to clear the stock spring mounts with no cutting too.
My car is going to be a corner turner as well as a drag car too and a driver so its got to be right.
I am also working with Markus at AC&C and we are going to upgrade the upper controlarms to allow more/easier adjustment. I have queried about using Gbody ATS spindles and was told that if the S10/Gbodie unit works and we can get a better handle on the steering arm issues too (ie shorter one s and bolt on.
Also looking into custom ball joints that will use the stock diameter lower ball joint but have a s10/Gbody ball joiint.
With the SC&C upper arms the Gbody ball joint is a bolt on.
The Monza Grand Touring chassis package is coming together and should make a good car a great handler with little work.
i have several ideas on upgrade modes or steps and will have the "kits" ready for sale.
As the Hbody market isnt super large they will be built on an as ordered basis. when ready.
Lee
MonzaRacer

Also

Postby MonzaRacer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:18 am

I am trying to work with an exhaust shop to make up a bend card for the Hbodies with my suspensions and almost forgot that I am working on a gastank relocation kit that will allow fillers on both sides if wanted and a centered tank so as to allow safely installing dual outlet pipes.
L
MonzaRacer

Previous

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech