Upper Control Arm Bushing Replacement Questions

Moderator: Moderators

Upper Control Arm Bushing Replacement Questions

Postby olds70supreme » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Hello,

My passenger side upper control arm bushing needs replacing on my 75 Starfire. I don't want to replace any more than is necessary at this time because I plan to upgrade to s10 spindles/brakes within a year or two and will redo the front suspension than. Right now I just want to get this thing on the road.

Question 1: To replace just the upper bushing, is it possible to just loosen the shaft, tilt the arm out, replace bushing, and re tighten shaft..... or do I need to pop the ball joint loose from the spindle?

Question 2: If I did decide to redo the bushings in the front suspension now, would the 75 Monza/Vega kit from Energy Suspension work? Their website lists the number 3.3126 under the listing for the control arm bushings, I am not sure if this is a bushing dimension or a part number.

Thanks for any help, I've defineately got a lot to learn, so bear with my questions. I figure I can do just about anything on a car, it will just take me longer than most :wink:
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:37 pm

I dont know about changing the actual bushing but that IS the energy part number...not the dimension.

I took all the numbers out of the catalog and posted them in the suppliers forum...you might want to check those numbers to see if the correspond with the one you have.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:17 pm

There isn't a shaft. There are two bolts per side.I don't think you can replace the bushings without removing the arm because you have to press them out on a vise or gerry rig a c-clamp. It was along time ago I did it but thats what it looks like in my shop manual but GM has a special tool. I seem to remember it was a PITA. Give yourself lots of time.
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby olds70supreme » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks for the information and the heads up!
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Return to Suspension, Steering, & Brakes Tech